Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you tell which are hens and which are cockerels? ( Chicks)  (Read 15373 times)

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
How do you tell which are hens and which are cockerels? ( Chicks)
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
I have 8 maran chicks at home, they are about 7 and half weeks old now, and have grown quite big! ive been looking up online about how to tell them apart - the web says that the paler ones with more colouring are the males, while the darker ones are the hens?

this is the first time i have kept chicks so i dont really know how to sex them otherwise.

Any information would be helpful!  Thanks :D  :chook:
3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: How do you tell which are hens and which are cockerels? ( Chicks)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:18:59 am »
I'm of the wait and see persuasion. I had a single chick earlier this year that at first I thought was going to be a lovely big hen....It started to look a bit more like a boy and the began crowing....at least it got big enough to go in the pot. He was rather striking in the end but upset the status quo of my little very mixed flock.
(Ive had...and bred...hens for 10 years or so

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
I'm pretty sure Marans can be sexed at day old which would mean that they are marked differently, could be something like the cream leg bars, the boys have white/cream splodged on their heads and the girls look like chipmunks (marking wise!) ? Someone will be along shortly who knows for sure

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:38 am »
At two days, you can tell many breeds apart by wing feather length. Then, in those breeds, of which Marans are some, the pullets feather up faster - they get their tail and back feathers faster.

Once they're past that, you're into 'wait and see' - comb and wattle size tend to relate to how well developed they are, as well as pullet and cockerel, at the age yours are.

Yes, you can Marans as described, while they're 'in their fluff'.

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:25:27 pm »
Thank you for all the replies, guess i will have to wait and see like you all say!
3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »
I've got some five week old marans and there is a big difference already in the size of their combs and wattles.  Why don't you post some pictures and we might be able to help.  :thumbsup:

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »
Okay, ill do that tomorrow, :)

I have 4 that all look the same, and then 3 that look the same and then one that is in between, so i hope i have more hens!  ;D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »
Are they English Cuckoo Marans, or one of the French varieties?
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »
Ive no idea! ill try and find out

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »
Believe it or not a friend of mine does it with a magnet on a piece of string.. It will swing of go round in a circle.. Not sure which is boy or girl now but he did it to our ducks and 4 out of 4 he got them all rite

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
If they've got feathered legs, they're French marans.

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:29:24 am »
Hey everyone thanks for the help, i asked the person who i got them off and they are speckled marans! He also told me how to tell the difference, so now i am in the process of building another chicken house for them to go in! :)

Thanks! :)  ;D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:57 am »
If its a Speckledy it will be a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Cuckoo Marans cockerel, in which case all the females should take the fathers feather colour, and all the males the mothers colour, which makes them very easy to sex, though of course they will lay an egg colour somewhere between the two breeds, but should be vigourous birds because of the cross, and good layers.   Whew, that was a long sentence   :D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:56 am »
If its a Speckledy it will be a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Cuckoo Marans cockerel, in which case all the females should take the fathers feather colour, and all the males the mothers colour, which makes them very easy to sex, though of course they will lay an egg colour somewhere between the two breeds, but should be vigourous birds because of the cross, and good layers.   Whew, that was a long sentence   :D

Ah thats interesting - sorry to hijack thread but.... is that true of all Cuckoo marans crosses?  We have some 10 week old 'chicks' from friends who have light sussex and cuckoo marans hens and a sussex cockrel.  We seem to have some pure sussexy looking ones, a grey speckled one (complete mixture?) and some black ones - does it follow that the black ones are maran/sussex cross hens and the grey speckeled is a maran/sussex cockrel?  Is there a 'what do you get if you cross a ----- with a -----' chicken breeding site/book?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:34 am »

Ah thats interesting - sorry to hijack thread but.... is that true of all Cuckoo marans crosses?  We have some 10 week old 'chicks' from friends who have light sussex and cuckoo marans hens and a sussex cockrel.  We seem to have some pure sussexy looking ones, a grey speckled one (complete mixture?) and some black ones - does it follow that the black ones are maran/sussex cross hens and the grey speckeled is a maran/sussex cockrel?  Is there a 'what do you get if you cross a ----- with a -----' chicken breeding site/book?

Doh - Hens and Cockrels are very different according to this [size=78%]http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/maran/[/size] So we have 2 hens and I cockrel according to this picture - I am just surprised that they look as close to this given that their 'dad' was a light sussex.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS