Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Arrivals  (Read 1250 times)

Bobforrangerpigs

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Elton Nr Peterborough Cambridgeshire UK
  • Ancient pig keeper with 13 Tamworth Sows 1 Boar
    • Rangerpigs
New Arrivals
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:18 am »

FURTHER LIFE OF PIG KEEEPING
New arrivalsMonday 3rd September 2012 saw the arrival of a brand new litter of beautiful Tamworth piglets, all 11 of them “Bonkers” surely had done a great job. Mrs Pig helped as well.
The downside was 4 fatalities Mrs Pig was a new mum and a bit clumsy.
I’d noticed her rather rotund figure during the week and had taken the precaution of moving her on the Saturday to the “Farrowing Shed” to give her some space & privacy; she duly started to produce early on Monday morning. I checked before work at 0600hrs and found to my surprise 2 new arrivals only! Help what I do, the only thing possible. Go to work and let her get on with it.
After work, big rush home, down to the field look in the shed to find 7 healthy piglets, well done mum. Then on further examination I discovered 4 squashed corpses.
New mums are clumsy; fatalities are often inevetivable when not you’re not in attendance. Not that Mrs Pig would countenance my presence which would put the new born at risk. So I think the best course of action would be to let her get on with it, making sure the accommodation is dry, large, clean, little straw at this stage, plenty of water, food and very importantly secure from other pigs. I’ve found this out to my cost!
So 3 days later the newly arrived piglets are thriving, loads of grunting when they are feeding, she’s feeding like it’s going out of fashion, still banged up due to the presence of the other pigs in the shared paddock, which I’m now in the process of dividing up by fencing off one half. Should be done by this afternoon, freedom for Mrs Pig.

All the Best

See you annon

Bob Dean

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
Re: New Arrivals
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:09 am »
Congratulations on your new arrivals! Sorry for your losses, glad the rest are doing well though  :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: New Arrivals
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:26:25 am »
many congratulations glad Mrs Pig and brood all doing well. :thumbsup:
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS