Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Rat in the water supply - is it contaminated?  (Read 4386 times)

ShellyB

• Joined Sep 2012
Dead Rat in the water supply - is it contaminated?
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:53 pm »
Hi everyone!

I'm just house sitting for friends on a small holding and today when I went to water the rabbits I saw a giant rat dead in the bucket full of water we use to top up their water dispensers. There was another dead rat in the chicken's water bucket (which is smaller). I tipped out the chicken's water and filled it with fresh, but the rabbit's bucket is huge and there is a lot of water in it. I refilled their dispensers from a different supply, and obviously I've removed both the rats, but now I'm just wondering- is the water bucket contaminated now and should I completely empty it? I'm just not really sure of what to do....

Would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks muchly!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Dead Rat in the water supply - is it contaminated?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »
I would. Rats carry leptospirosis and pass it via their urine, so they would have passed it into the water if they carried it.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:56:39 pm »
Better to waste water than risk sick animals.  I'd tip it, wash it out and refill.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
Rats can carry leptospirosis which is spread by their excreted fluids, ie urine, saliva etc. So it is risky to use for the animals but more so for yourself handling this water as any minute splash in your eye or mouth  :o or into a cut on your skin could potentially be harmful to you.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
Sling it out, wash and refil hun, it ain't never worth the risk ;) :bunny:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ShellyB

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »
Thank you everyone for the helpful replies!  :) I'm glad my gut instinct of not using the water was right! Next question, would the water be ok for watering the veggie garden? How long does the Leptospirosis stay in the water?

Thanks again!!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »
Lepto can be caught by eating contaminated food.
 The bacteria may be present in the water and is contagious until the area completely dries out, as it needs damp or wet conditions to survive.

ShellyB

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:51:54 pm »
ok thank you! questions answered! The water needs to go! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS