Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep to buy  (Read 1855 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
sheep to buy
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:59 pm »
iam looking at the possability of keeping a few sheep well breeding stock as like all my stock what breeds would people recomend  i have looked into the oxford down breed but they are the size of poneys lol shetlends anyway

any recomendations for me  what experiance do people have with them i  understand they are a lot more hands on than my other stock  but iam prpepared for that

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
Re: sheep to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
We keep Lincoln Longwools - they are a rare native breed, and are obviously longwools. They do not require a dog, as most of them are under the impression that they are dogs themselves!?!?? They tend not to do too well if the land they are on is particularly wet, but then very few sheep would. You also need a very good shearer for them, as they have big, heavy fleeces. The wool, however, is onlly worth marginally more with the WMB. Other than that, they are very cute, good mothers, and the (mature - at least one year old) lambs taste very nice, and the meat is very lean.
Hope this is of some use...
Catherine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS