Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing Eggs  (Read 2125 times)

Lagmore

Freezing Eggs
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:57 pm »
Hi All,

We have LOADS of eggs at the moment which we just can't get through - I think I am already a little bit egg-bound :o . I have looked on the internet for tips on freezing eggs but as usual there is lots of conflicting advice, separating, not separating, adding salt or sugar or not etc etc. Do any of you freeze eggs, if so what do you do?

Thanks in advance,

Ali.

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
Re: Freezing Eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »
I bake like there's no tomorrow, victoria sponges freeze really well as does shortcrust pastry and pasta dough.  All easy and relatively quick and full of eggs, the dough can be frozen whole too.
I have tried freezing eggs, seperate eggs and put them in ice trays, with salt or sugar.  The salt/sugar is to stop skin forming when you defrost.  Got to admit I haven't tried defrosting them yet as we have never been short.
Pickling too, we do this a lot with quail eggs and sell them. ::)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:41:22 am »
Hi we freeze eggs -we break the yolk and stir them up a bit, i we don't stir them up enough the white goes weird and lumpy. They come out a bit lumpy still but fine for scrambled egg and baking. good luck!

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »
Make some lemon curd!  That should easily get rid of a dozen eggs if you make 2 jars.  :thumbsup:

http://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-course/breakfast-and-brunch/lemon-curd/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS