Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hard Feed Quantities for Meat Goats  (Read 2516 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Hard Feed Quantities for Meat Goats
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:27:11 pm »
I have 3 Boer x boys destined for the freezer.  When I got them about a month ago they were very skinny and you could play a tune on their ribs.  I have been giving approx 400g per day between 4 of them (got an AN x female) split into two feeds. They are out at grass with constant hay and mineral licks.

Question is, everyone I speak to feeds different things, varying quantities and I don't know how much to give.  Obviously with the cost I don't want to overfeed (plus don't want to fatten too quick) but also don't want to deprive them of nutrition.

I am using a gp cattle/sheep nut and calf grower for the copper.  They now have a nice covering over their ribs and look happy enough.

Advice appreciated.

RichStaffs

• Joined May 2012
  • Stafford
Re: Hard Feed Quantities for Meat Goats
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
I found that once they get to around 36 to 40 kilos, and have a fleshy feel to them, it's time to go. They will never feel as fit as a ready lamb.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »
I have no idea about feeding meat goats but would like to say watch out for your nubie when the boys go as she will not like being on her own. Mine could out do a show jumper and gets her knickers in a twist when the others are in the milking shed ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »
Thanks for that, yes I had thought about it and am trying to watch them to see if she has bonded more with one than the others.  I will either keep one back or not let them go until my new Boer x girlies arrive.

She already screams the house down if they disappear out of site. They are all really cute and I don't know how to decide which to kill  :'( :'(

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:39 am »
When it comes to the boys (lambs) I have to go for all or no-one as I can't pick :'(
This year it is no-one so I have two wethers to keep the ram when I find him company.
Next year it will be all.....
I find making the decision before they are even conceived is the easiest way for me.
Good luck!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS