Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Saddleback x Wild Boar  (Read 6190 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Saddleback x Wild Boar
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:42 am »
I have been offered some saddle back x wild boar weaners and wondered if anyone had kept this cross
If so what are they like to keep, what sort of size do they reach and at what age do you finish them ?
Graham

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Saddleback x Wild Boar
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:49:26 pm »
Do you need a wild animal licence for them? You do for wild boar, but I don't know if you need one for crosses.

Sorry I can't help with your queries  :eyelashes:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:55:26 pm »
Don't need one for crosses.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »
There used to be someone in the Somerswet area who bred such pigs and sold the meat under the Wild Blue title. Any cross with a wild boar will be a lot fiestier than domestic pigs and will need careful handling and strong fencing. Such crosses are prodigious jumpers (I had an Iron Age gilt jump out of the back of a pony trailer once many years ago so think 6-7feet high). They will be smaller than domestic pigs and slower growing.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:17 pm »
Thanks for the replys
I have been talking to several people on the phone and I have decided that they are not for me  :o
I like an easy life and as our land backs onto the fell I dont fancy chasing pigs over 1000s of acres of fell  ::) or being accused of starting a  herd of feral pigs up there  :-\
Graham

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 02:02:47 pm »
Hi, I know this is an ancient thread, but just in case anyone finds it on a search like I just did .. I am keeping 4 saddleback x wild boar males just now and they seem pretty easy really! They are held in about an acre of wood/scrub with 2 strands of electric fence, they can be led anywhere with a bucket, and they can't jump for s***!

Happy pig-keeping!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:51:12 pm »
Are your 4 all related/same litter [member=151786]Cryptogamix[/member] ?
Crosses, any/all crosses, will vary as we all know:  it might be that similar crosses to yours are not quite so biddable.
Out of passing interest;  how did you come to have SB/Wild Boar crosses ? 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 03:53:28 pm by arobwk »

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 08:12:20 pm »
Yes, they're 4 brothers from the same litter. I don't know much about pigs, these are the first ones I've had ... Just thought I'd share my experience. For sure there'll be variability.

Basically just looked on my local FB page for pigs, and these were available and sounded suitable for my situation, so I just for it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 01:22:41 pm »
Yes, they're 4 brothers from the same litter. I don't know much about pigs, these are the first ones I've had ... Just thought I'd share my experience. For sure there'll be variability.

Basically just looked on my local FB page for pigs, and these were available and sounded suitable for my situation, so I just for it.

How old are they?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 06:54:25 pm »

I'm not a piggy person, but [member=151786]Cryptogamix[/member] I would say you were "brave" to go for a wild boar x as your starter.  But great that yours are so easily managed (and will no doubt be very tasty idc !).   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 07:01:42 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 10:46:01 pm »
Any pics [member=151786]Cryptogamix[/member] ?

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:50 am »
Here's a recent pic, if I've uploaded right..

They were born in March I think.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 08:36:22 pm »
No expert here, but fine looking pigs to my mind.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 09:22:58 am »
I don't see any sign of wild boar in those, which is a good thing as abattoirs can get twitchy about such things.

They also look ready to go.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 04:28:06 pm »
I don't see any sign of wild boar in those, which is a good thing as abattoirs can get twitchy about such things.

They also look ready to go.

Don't ask me why, but whenever I'm at a Country Show I head for the pig and chicken pens/tents first. 
I reckon [member=24672]harmony[/member] that Cryptogamix's piggies are a bit different (elongated snout with no stepped profile) to a "standard" Saddleback , but they look so Saddleback that probably no one would question unless in a show ring  !!??
Edit:  they remind me of SmallWelshBarn's "pink" crosses (apart from their colours).  [I wonder how [member=99988]SmallWelshBarn[/member] is getting on with his troublesome (from his point of view) Right Of Way across his piggy fields ?]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:49:03 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS