Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese Eggs.  (Read 6995 times)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Geese Eggs.
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:18 am »
Last year I hatched some geese using my incubator. The idea was to keep  a brace and eat the rest. However, I never got round to despatching many, part cold feet,  part over abundance of turkeys and cockerels. So we have 4 , 3 ganders and 1 goose. Alledgedley geese come into lay around valentines, so I have been expectant. she has been waddling round a bit behind the boys looking a bit forlorn. This morning when I opened the geese hut up they all burst out in a frenzy. Summats up I thought. So i backtracked round them as they munched on some wheat, and there they were, two huge eggs in the middle of the hut. She'd been stuck with her first egg and the secand must have followed soon after. We now have a tray full of hens eggs and two huge geese eggs. any ideas what to make with these beauties?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Geese Eggs.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:13:28 pm »
How about a gorgeous quique lorraine, or egg custard or the biggest omelette ever, oooh my taste buds are watering....

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:18:34 pm »
I think i will second the omlette!! ;D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:27:57 pm »
communal soft boiled egg and soldiers sounds like a good idea too , when I kept geese years ago , my brother would eat 3 boiled goose eggs for breakfast.....God knows how he did it but he did. .....

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:24:22 pm »
DEFINITELY the omlette....nothing to beat it.   ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:08:36 pm »
Thanks everyone. My lad and me shared a huge cheesey omlette for tea, it was very very deep yellow. Tasted a bit stronger than hens eggs, but alex declared it the best he'd ever had. Can't wait now for more. Rusty, how long to boil a goose egg?.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:09 pm »
OMG  :o :o  Mucked out the goose house today (do it once every 2 weeks) and there buried in the straw were 4 goose eggs  :o :o :o Have to keep a close watch now.........I thought they'd got too old as they haven't laid an egg for about 9 moths !!!  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:14:36 am »
My girl hides her eggs now. It is quite a thrill to find a small batch of huge eggs. tried a fried goose egg this week, the size of a side plate, wish i'd done chips with it to dip. :(. i think geese can have a short laying season, which is just as well, as I'm now harrassing folk to take a few eggs off me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS