Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jabs for weaners  (Read 3748 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Jabs for weaners
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:33:12 pm »
Hi,
In previous years I had my weaners injected with Ivomec (I think) by the seller.
This year I bought from a different source and I need to inject them myself as they are doing some serious rubbing.
Is it possible to buy Ivomec (or other brand) in very small quantities? The only source I could find wanted nearly £300 for what looked like a lifetimes supply.
Regards,
Muc

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Jabs for weaners
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:55:10 pm »
I got a bottle of noromectin (sp) for pigs. good sized bottle for around €40 from the local co-op. If you can't find it pm me and we can arrange something. It's delivered by sub-cutaneous injection behind the ear.

Regards,

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »
Otherwise use the large dog spot on Frontline.  (You would need to use an oral wormer though).  Works for us even on big H.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:27:55 pm »
our vet decants what we need. Its a lot cheaper than buying big and it going to waste. is ivomectin safe on pigs. i dont know just asking?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:28:51 pm »
Hello,

We leave ours alone. Mum would be wormed about a week before farrowing with panacur pellets. Fattening stock would then be wormed again at 6 months as a precautionary measure.

If any get mange or lice (we've had two instances in six years) then we would treat with Ivomec (pour on)or Spot-On as appropriate.

Generally an outdoor pig is a healthy and happy pig.

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »
Yup, Noromectin (ivormectin substitute) is designed for pigs too. Dosage per weight.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:45:21 am »
Noromectin it is. I hope there's a pour-on version as I'm scared of giving the injections. If they squeal the place down when they touch the electric fence, what will they be like if I jab them with a needle?
 :'(

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:50 am »
I got noromectin £20 for 50ml, try beeston animal health online. Just as a comparison our first weaners were not wormed (the sow was) and we never got the livers back as they had fluke. The next weaners we bought had been injected and we got everything back! So we wormed our sow 2 weeks prior to farrowing and injected her piglets at 6 weeks old with noromectin. We tried holding them but they screamed and wriggled!! so we got them in the ark and injected all 10 whilst they just lay there! not a flinch, really easy calm process!! If you dont want to inject get panacur to put in their feed and spot on for external parasites! :pig:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 12:05:55 pm »
Let's just say they won't love you for it. Remember to get the weight right so as not to give too much http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/6/production-management/541/weighing-a-pig-without-a-scale they also describe how to give a subcutaneous injection on the site

Regards

Morgan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS