Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shearing  (Read 5745 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
shearing
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »
hi all, we only have a small flock of sheep 12 at present and are looking for some mains shears just to use for occasional dagging and crutching but not complete shearing. was wandering if anyone as used these before? are they any good or just a bit too cheap? http://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/zipper-shearing-machine.html or  http://www.masterclip.co.uk/landing_page/sheep_clippers/sheep_products_list.aspx?nProducts=sheep_clippers or can anyone recommend any other good ones?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm by jacob and Georgina »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: shearing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »
I just use old-fashioned hand clippers for dagging, easier to do a quick job in the pen without any set up etc etc - I would have thought with 12 sheep hand clippers would be quick enough?

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:42:19 am »
I have a friend who is a professional shearer and swears by the service Horners provide.

But I would agree with Anke, unless there is a particular reason to want to use a machine for dagging it is a considerable expense.  I usually carry a small pair of dagging shears on my quad bike so I can take action on the spot for the sheep I can catch easily and wouldn't really want to be tied to only dagging in the barn.  Also sheep you have dagged with a shearing machine can't be shown which may or may not be a consideration for you. 

I would be interested to hear what the Singing Shearer has to say but another consideration is the safety of the sheep.  Having experienced hand and machine dagging although machines may on the face of it appear to be safer in inexperienced hands it is very easy to damage a lamb with machine shearers.  I have experienced the heartbreak of having to have a lamb put down because a tendon was cut while someone was machine dagging for me and it is not an experience I would wish to repeat.  The combs for the machine clippers for sheep are very different to horse clippers.

Have a look at these if the size of traditional dagging shears worries you (and it does me on occasions particularly with small lambs) https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/small-traditional-dagging-shears-p-70.html  .   

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
I've loved using my new Jakoti hand shears this year.  They are light and easier to use than dagging shears because they're so sharp and sit comfortably in my smaller hand.

http://www.handshears.co.uk/products/jakoti-hand-shears.cfm

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »
It's quite easy to nick with any electric shears with combs/ cutters, you have to set the blade/comb distances correctly so there's no over cut and the distance between the bevel on the comb and cutter blade is correct.

There are specific blows to use when Crutching that minimise the chance of hitting the tendons etc, also if you do choose this route, never pull the wool up to get the comb in, always keep the comb on the skin flat and pull the skin behind the comb back so the wool is pulled onto the blade if that makes sense, keep your left hand over any sensitive parts.

If you arn't comfortable with turning the sheep over and keeping her still I'd probably use hand shears, the shearing hand piece is a bit more vicious than your standard clippers and you have the opportunity to do a lot of damage very quickly

British wool board I think do a Crutching course? Certainly there are Crutching courses at agricultural colleges

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »
Horners are my suppliers of choice, cracking service from them, I also like George Mudge as well

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
I use hand shears for dagging and crutching too. It's an easy job and you can do it wherever you can catch the sheep.

If you had 1200 I can see going electric but for 12 I'd say it's cheaper, easier and more peaceful to use a small pair of hand shears.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »
Thanks Alistair.  I was talking from gut instinct and observation.

Im feeling very tempted by those Jakoti shears I will admit.  As for that Greek shepherd, he was impressive.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:28 am »
I was so tempted that I've ordered some ;D .  Thank you for the link- a lovely quiet way of working. :thumbsup:

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »
id go for the hand shears as well, ive got some small dagging shears, full size clipping shears (long pointy ones)and a horner machine and i use the full size ones more than anything, i only use the machine for clipping

hope this helps
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS