Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners wanted  (Read 2699 times)

Andy0561

• Joined May 2009
Weaners wanted
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »
Hi, My wife and I have recently started a smallholding and we are now ready to house 2 weaners after finally fininshing the arc and the fencing.  Does anyone have or know of anyone who has any weaners available to buy at the moment in the southeast (Sussex). We are not too fussed about the breed at the moment as we will try different breeds over a period of time to establish which we prefer.  We are looking for a good dual purpose meat pig.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy :pig: :pig:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Weaners wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »
have you chrcked at your local country store/ feed merchant. They know who has what and may point you in the right direction. Do you know anyone who has had pigs. you really need someone who knows what they are looking at. I assume your registered as an animal holding. good luck they can be good fun. the drawback is you get very fond of them.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:13:40 pm »

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:46:16 am »
Hi Andy

I'm in Sussex, but don't have any weaners at the moment. Will hopefully have some later in the year - my gilt has only just come back from her romantic break at the boars house !!  :pig: There does seem to be a shortage locally at the moment, Hailsham Mart on wednedays could be worth a try (give them a call the day before to see what entered), they are fetching good prices there at the moment, unlike last year when you could pick them up for £12 a head !!

Good luck  :pig:

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS