Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: escaping pigs!  (Read 5286 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
escaping pigs!
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:05:45 pm »
This may come as no surprise to many of you. This is my second year as a pig keeper. Last year I had two boys Rocky and Racing Stripes, that I reared for the freezer. I was so pleased that I got two more this year - Rodney and Del boy as they are trotters  :P I just planned to kill earlier so that I would not have as much fat on them. I never had any problems last year but these two just keep going to visit the hens and eat all their pellets in the afternoon. They have also eaten my freshly planted strawberry plants  :o It took afew days for me to realise what was happening as every time I went to see them they were in their little hut. I then caught them red handed - or trotter so to speak  >:( We have ajusted the fence several times but I just cannot see how they are getting out and they never do it while I am watching. They just stand and stare at me. I feel that they are laughing at me  :'( I did try electric at first but they seem to have got used to that. Any ideas of what I could try next.  :-\
Karen

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: escaping pigs!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:28:08 pm »
Have you checked the electric fence voltage is set high enough or the battery isn't needing changed.
What about the height of the fence? One strand about 6 inches from the ground and another about 4 inches higher should be enough to hit their nose and then their back.

I'm sure mine systematically check the strength of the fence and if the power is low they will risk a little shock to get out!!

I wouldn't be too quick to kill them as the fat can be cut off, unless you're going for crackling!!

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice. The electric fencing was the one that we use for the pony in the summer (tape type). The farm shop said it would be OK to use with the pigs and it was a new battery.
Karen

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »
I train mine to a mains fence....thereafter zero problems. When I put them into the weaners enclosure (mains) I touch them off the wire twice and they get the message...and yes the shock travels through me too....so I will either live to a hundred and fifteen years....or i will be dead next year  ;D

Hope this helps

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 06:08:14 pm »
Dont worry too much as long as they are not running off, they will soon grow too big for escaping.  I never understand how weaners seem so impervious to shocks whilst bigger pigs shriek when they get close to the fence.

You could try either removing the chicken pellets in the afternoons, or substituting with pig pellets although I dont think chicken pellets will hurt them.  Have you tried leaving a few treats around the pig run?  Quarter bananas, bits of carrot, bread, etc. so they can amuse themselves without escaping.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:30:29 pm »
when we had our weaners last year. they got spooked and one ran through the stock fencing squares. was very impressed as they were both quite big by then.

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:48:57 pm »
Don't be too certain that as they get bigger they will be unable to escape!! Mains electric fencing is really the only way to stop them, although you need to check the lower strand, as they are prone to rooting soil all over it, thereby causing the current to short out. Also, I have had one of my sows launch herself clean over average height pig netting. She did kindly squash it down on her way back in, thereby making the fence smaller, and letting the other sow and my best boar who were in with her out to the freedom of my paddocks. Apparently, the three of them get on quite well with the horses, when all grazing the same area. I did get an earful from my other half until I called the three of them, and they came trotting up full speed. The horses, of course, completely ignored me!! Which is the more intelligent animal???

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:38 pm »
I had a complete freak out the first week we got the pigs when I couldn't find them in the field.  After shouting for ages I saw a little floppy eared face poking out of the chickens pop hole.  They ate all the layers pellets and generally trashed the inside of the shed!  The chicken shed is fenced off with sheep wire, but we cut one horizontal peice of wire to make 2 squares of wire into a rectangle so the chickens could get through - never thought the pigs would squeeze through!  It is now patched up with baler twine until the pigs grow a bit more.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:56:54 am »
I've had exactly the same problem.  Thought the pigs had done a runner till I saw they were happily stealing all the chickens food.

The hole for the chickens to get into their part of the shed is tiny and about a foot and a half high so I really couldn't figure out how the pigs got in.  Finally I caught them in the act - they were jumping up and getting their head and front legs in the hole. They'd then just wriggle, like a caterpillar, until they eventually wriggled all the way through.  They certainly are committed when it comes to food!

Since then I've used an old piece of my cupboard that has struts to lead up to the chicken hole and so far they haven't been able to get in.  They're already trying to figure ways trough it though and even if they have to resort to demolition I'm sure they'll try it soon.

With regards to the fence, mine have a electric mains fence at about 8 - 10 inches and they haven't found a way through...yet.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:27:07 pm »
taking one for the team

love it Morgan

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
I had one escape at the beginning of our little piggie adventure, and all I could see was a big ball of euro's running through the field!! Wasn't going to let that happen again. That experience was more shocking than the fence! U an ex-Dub Relic?

Morgan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS