Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stray hens- what do I do?  (Read 2148 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Stray hens- what do I do?
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »
Hello.
I have 5 lovely hens who are free range. They are happy and healthy and we do nothing to them.
This morning my husband found 2 abandoned hens under our recycling bucket.
I've put them in a stable for now with food and water, but one has diarrhoea (could it just be stress?)
Can anyone advise me on a chicken MOT? I don't want to mix them with my girls until I know they are ok. (e.g would it be wise to worm them? And anything else?)
Thank you,
Joanne xxx

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Stray hens- what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:41:35 pm »
It doesn't sound like they've came from a very responsible home  :rant: so I'd worm them,  demite/louse them and quarantine them well away from your own for a couple of weeks just in case.
( that is presuming you are keeping them )

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:26 pm »
Could be stress but frankly not worth risking passing something on to your girls who all sound very happy and healthy.
I'd worm them, give them access to plenty of water and not try to interfere with them too much for a day or so until they feel calmer. They must have been terrified, poor things. 
They could be riddled with mites or anything so check round their vents and anywhere you can. Any ideas where they came from?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »
No idea where they came from at all- there was no note. But they are quite tame, if wary, so they've been someone's pets.
We found them at 7am under the recycling box at the top of our drive with a traffic cone on top of it. It's SO windy here today, someone obviously had checked the weather report.
Yes we'll be keeping them, although they are bigger than our girls (our are part bantam, part no idea) so we'll see how they get on.
I'll get wormer and mite stuff.
Just hope word doesn't get around that we're a soft touch or who knows what'll get left next week!
Thanks for your advice
J xxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS