Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Table birds  (Read 3817 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Table birds
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:46:39 pm »
I started a topic a few months ago regarding some ross cobbs i reared (titled well pleased) in that post i mentioned a strain of birds classed as outdoor table birds.Well i hatched 17 chicks on the 30th of june,sadly 1 died,i have kept 8 of the hens on for my foundation stock.Yesterday they hit 10 weeks of age,today i weighed 1 of the cockerels,not the biggest just the 1st 1 i caught he weighed in at 5lb 1 ounce.So i think im on to a winner so far,proof of the pudding will come next year when i hatch my next batch  :fc: 

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Table birds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »
Good luck with your breeding plans  :thumbsup:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:44 am »
Hi,what cockerel are you planning to use.If they are a hubbard 757 which are a free range broiler they wont breed true as they are a hybrid.

Graham.
Graham.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:20:39 pm »
I used an Ixworth over my Ross Cobb hens this year.  Obviously the meat girls are not really great layers and I found that the quality of the eggs (strength of shell and shape) to be not so great, so finding GOOD eggs to hatch was tricky.  from the ones that I have hatched out, they are down on weight and the meat on the breast is a lot less. I got an average of 7.5 lbw dressed weight compared to 10lbs on the straight Ross Cobbs at say 14 weeks, reared outdoors.

I'd be interested to see how yours come out as although mine were OK I'd really want more weight on them.  I hope that at least that the offspring will produce decent eggs for further hatches and the hens themselves be more vigourous.     The older Ross Cobb hens that we have kept on(my little lad loves them, they are so docile) are absolutely huge. I reckon they are at least a stone each. One has gone broody today too ::)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
Good luck with your breeding plans  :thumbsup:

Thank you shaz

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »
Hi,what cockerel are you planning to use.If they are a hubbard 757 which are a free range broiler they wont breed true as they are a hybrid.

Graham.

The cockerel will be from the same strain,but not a direct relation.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:41:28 pm »
I used an Ixworth over my Ross Cobb hens this year.  Obviously the meat girls are not really great layers and I found that the quality of the eggs (strength of shell and shape) to be not so great, so finding GOOD eggs to hatch was tricky.  from the ones that I have hatched out, they are down on weight and the meat on the breast is a lot less. I got an average of 7.5 lbw dressed weight compared to 10lbs on the straight Ross Cobbs at say 14 weeks, reared outdoors.

I'd be interested to see how yours come out as although mine were OK I'd really want more weight on them.  I hope that at least that the offspring will produce decent eggs for further hatches and the hens themselves be more vigourous.     The older Ross Cobb hens that we have kept on(my little lad loves them, they are so docile) are absolutely huge. I reckon they are at least a stone each. One has gone broody today too ::)

The parents of these birds laid an egg each every day,and 17 out of 23 hatched in the incubator so no probs with shell quality.Just hope the trait continues in this batch,the (stud) cockerel weighs at least 15lb,and the mature hens would be about 8lb but have been control fed not add lib.As soon as i get chance i will try and post some pics.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:58 am »
That is a really good result with the eggs and a Good idea to control the mature hens food. I will do this next time for sure. I reckon the extra weight laid down wouldn't have helped their reproductive systems at all.

My girls have also stopped laying 9 months down the line. Again, I think their weight has got something to do with it.  I know they are not meant to be layers as such but still  ::). I guess I'll  learn from my mistakes!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:48 pm »
Hi,I kept some Hubbard hens,I found them to be very good layers.The laid a large light brown egg of very good quality.They only laid for a bout 7 month then stopped and seemed to be reluctant to lay after that.I think maybe the put on to much weight.They also started to get breathing problems and a cough,non of my other birds were affected.
I crossed a copper blue Marran cock with them,I also had a IG cock to try.This is a picture of one of the resulting birds a cock,which I think bears a resemblance to an Ixworth.

Graham.

Graham.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
Graham...an IG cockerel would be a good cross. Great heavy legs.
The Ixworth cross is OK but the breast meat isn't that substantial.  I only have a Croad cockerel to use for next year. he is absolutely huge but Im not overly excited about the amount of meat that will be produced. 
I may go back to buying table chicks in. After all the effort that I put into this sort of project, i feel that I really want some great huge chickens at the end.  I always love getting multiple meals out of a chicken.  I kind of feel that I have done them some justice, if that sounds right....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS