Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Torn ear and lost tag  (Read 2933 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Torn ear and lost tag
« on: September 07, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »
One of the lambs have torn its tag out today and lost it.
I have managed to stop the bleeding and cleaned him up and he seems fine.
What do I need to do about the tag ?  he had 1 blue and 1 yellow and its the yellow one thats missing.
Am I right in thinking as he is going for slaughter he does not need a second one put back in ? I am hopeing I am right because he has torn the ear upwards so there is about a 3inch tear
Graham

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
Re: Torn ear and lost tag
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »
Super glue the ear together.

in scotland you need 1 electronic tag for slaughter.

d

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
I am afraid you will need to replace the tag. They need two tags, one IED ( the yellow one) at the abattoir, unless they are old then IED is not required. They are always tearing them out the Shearwell tags ones seem to stay in the best. Don't worry about the ripped ear, it is character building and they will do it again. There is always room for a replacement tag.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:01:15 pm »
I only ever tag our lambs when I pick them out to go to the butchers, they have one normal snap tag and it's never been a problem. I think in England you only need an electronic tag if your selling sheep over a year old. I have also taken cull ewes to market with just one normal tag with no problems.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »
In England slaughter lambs only need a single tag if they are under 12 months old, double tags are needed for sheep over one year. Scotland I believe they need the EID tags whatever.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »
Spoken to a local farmer and he has said they need 2 to be sold hence the reason they had 2 in when we got them but only need the 1 in to go for slaughter  :-\
Graham

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:44 pm »
We only tag ours when they are going to avoid lost tags. Remy is correct, 1 tag for slaughter as lambs is fine.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »
http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/movements/sheep/

Thought this would be helpful but just noticed the section on movements within a farm business if no change of ownership.  I thought moves within 5 miles required no paperwork but it seems not.  Most of my land has no CPH number and I don't own it.  At least it's all adjacent to my CPH though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS