Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unwell Duck  (Read 7635 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Unwell Duck
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:38:38 am »
This morning when I let the ducks out, Millie was last out - this is unusual. The others ran out and straight out into the garden for a day out. Millie slowly walked under a tree and made no effort to go after them and she let me lift her without any struggle. So, I phoned the vet and asked his advice. I have given her some anti biotic, we will see how she goes. I was going to put her in a hut on her own but think this would stress her further so she is sitting very quietly on her own. The others have returned to see her but she is not interested in going with them. Fingers are crossed that she is just very tired as they went to bed very early yesterday due to the weather. I am hoping that she has been keeping the boys company and she is just exhausted? (She is a 3/4 year old Aylesbury).

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Unwell Duck
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:32:01 am »
Is she broody? Is she the only female? if she is then maybe the drakes have been raping her constantly, as they do! and she's had enough. Its best to have more females than males if you can.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:36:49 am »
I don't think she is broody and I have many more girls to boys. I do have a VERY amarous Kakhi Campbell however.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »
did she lay? we had one last year which was exhausted for days and hardly kept up with the others.It was obvious she was in pain. It emerged that she had a problem laying. She produced something weird after a few days and was fine after. I also reduced the layers' pellets and gave them more grain which seems to do them all good. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:25:07 pm »
I am pretty certain that she has been laying thanks. She is much the same just sitting watching the world go past her.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »
I take it you've examined her all over? feet, bottom etc? maybe she's just having a rest!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:53:07 pm »
Twice now she has gone on the river and had a swim with the others so I am hoping that she is on the mend. I do hope it was just exhaustion, looking like it.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »
glad to hear that, these things are always a bit worrying...:&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »
Just before the start of a very busy night we noticed one of the Buff Orpington ducks had something hanging from her backside. We managed to catch her, locked her up with Millie and called the vet. At first the vet thought she had a prolapsed rectum and then thought that what has hanging was a decomposing egg. The vet managed to twist the "growth" and it fell off, so the vet now not too sure what was wrong. She managed to get her fingers up her rectum and that was all clear so we have to wait and see...

She is still very lively and seems to be ok so again we must wait and see. The vet is coming here for dinner tomorrow so will have a look at her then. 2 sick ducks in the one day - too much for me.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:11:04 pm »
oh dear, maybe it was just one of these days...I hope all will be well tomorrow! :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:08:37 am »
I went out this morning not knowing what to expect but  both Millie and the Buff Orpington seem to be much better. I have let them out i n the Pygmy Goat enclosure so I can keep an eye on them but they don't seem to happy in there as they can here the other ducks, I will see how they settle. No eggs from either and only sign of 1 "pooh" which is worrying, they did try and eat some bread I offered athough the Pygmy's got in first.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:07 pm »
Well I tried to keep the 2 of them in today but they were not happy so I thought to save stressing them I'd let them go with the other ducks. The 2 of them were straight on the river where they have been all day. The vet that saw them last night came for her dinner tonight and was actually amazed that the Buff Orpington was still with us. I think she will be here for a while yet as she is so back to full strength.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:38 pm »
I think we are having one like Millie now. She's the smallest and the boys are always after her - so far that I interfered, what I don't believe in normally - she's always trying to hide somewhere and pretends to sleep all day to have some peace or maybe really sleeps because she's exhausted? Maybe I'll keep her separate with the ducklings if things don't improve soon. Or we'll have to part with one of the 2 boys. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »
How many other females do you have?  Khaki Campbells are known to be the randiest of all ducks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »
Altogether we have 6 girls, Annie. In early spring all the girls were willing but now they are all fed up and try to escape the attention...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS