Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A fairy godmother  (Read 3948 times)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
A fairy godmother
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:03:04 pm »
Well, yesterday I had the best day ever! 

A fairy godmother ( sallyinNorth ) made a dream come true  :knit:  :excited:

Many years ago I watched a lady spinning a wheel in a castle, and was mesmerised by it. Every day I'd go to the castle to watch. It was lovely but not something somebody like me would ever be able to do  :-\

Well, now I am the proud owner of such a wheel  :excited: thanks to Sally. I spent yesterday at a very friendly club where Sally has been very patient with me and taught me how to spin my first bobbin of yarn  :excited:

Spent last night practicing until my poor leg couldnt do it anymore, so I went to bed. Holding off until tonight ( if I can ) to start the wheel again  :excited:  :excited:

So, dreams really can come true  :eyelashes: thank you so much Sally  :-*

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: A fairy godmother
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:01 pm »
Spinning is magical. Talk about alchemy. Especially if they are your own fleeces.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »
Goodness, you are so very welcome Shaz.  It was an absolute pleasure.

Absolutely no patience required - there never is, really, we all had to learn and I am still very much a novice myself.  But especially as you really do seem to be a natural, to the extent I wouldn't have believed you'd not done it before - were it not for the shiny eyes and massive smile making it very clear this was a lady having a dream come true!  :D

However, there's one bit of advice I see you have chosen to ignore.  :huff:
Spent last night practicing until my poor leg couldnt do it anymore, so I went to bed. Holding off until tonight ( if I can ) to start the wheel again  :excited:  :excited:

Remember, "Don't do too long at a time; your muscles need to get used to it.  Do 20-30 minutes then have a break and come back to it later." ??  :D  (My sister gave herself RSI or somthing and couldn't spin or knit for a month!  Be warned!  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
Brilliant!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »
I will be careful Sally, honest. Just sooo excited by it last night, I just wanted to keep trying a little more. Will keep to your advice,  really, I will  :eyelashes:

It is going to be an evening relaxation therapy before bed  :excited:  I'm going to be strict with myself  :knit:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »
I will be careful Sally, honest. Just sooo excited by it last night, I just wanted to keep trying a little more. Will keep to your advice,  really, I will  :eyelashes:

It is going to be an evening relaxation therapy before bed  :excited:  I'm going to be strict with myself  :knit:

Yeah, right.  This is you after a few evening's "relaxation therapy before bed" :  :tired: :tired: :tired:   (Ask me how I know.  ;))

And tip: don't fall asleep spinning. Or knitting. :knit: Or worse still, plying.  ::)  (Ask me how I know  :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:41 pm »
 :roflanim:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
Sounds like another addict  ;) :innocent:

I always knew Sally had a magic wand  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »
Nah, that's deepinthewoods, apparently  :-J

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:35 pm »
well done for 'catching on' so quickly! it took me ages for everything to come together and finally produce useable yarn!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »
Ooo it's exciting isn't it!
I'm still at the knobbly-bobbly skill level, but I'm blaming my lack of good carding skills for that....  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »
Well done, MammyShaz and remember, Never say never.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:01:00 am »
Sounds like another addict  ;) :innocent:

I am loving all the appreciation  :bow:, but in truth all I did was recognise an opportunity when I saw one, and enable a neglected wheel wanting a new home to meet up with a person with a spinning wheel sized space in her home - and her heart!  (Plus we had quite a bit of help from the lovely lady who runs the very friendly club we all met up at.) 

Interestingly enough, there was another Wheel Finds Home Happy Ending story at the same club on the same day.  I'd been in touch with this lady for a few weeks; she'd been seeking a wheel that would fit in her 'Smart Car', and we were liaising about wheels on eBay, and a very damaged wheel a friend of hers had offered to sell her, and so on.  Nothing had seemed to be exactly right.  On Wednesday, shortly before Mammyshaz arrived to meet her new wheel-to-be, this lady came into the club carrying a wheel of a type I'd not come across.  Apparently her OH had seen someone getting out of a car and taking it into a charity shop that morning.  He'd followed her in, told the assistants to find out what they were going to charge for it and not to sell it until he returned with his OH.  They came back in the Smart Car, checked that it fitted, and bought it. 

While this story was being told, one of the other ladies at the club shot over, saying, "Oh, these wheels are fine; I learned on one just like this."

10 minutes later the combined expertise of the members of the club, including of course the lady who had learned on a wheel just like this, had the wheel adjusted and spinning happily.

30 minutes later, the lady who'd learned on a wheel just like this realised that not only had she learned on a wheel just like this, she'd learned on this very wheel!  It was her old wheel!  Whether it had gone through one, two or three other owners' hands since leaving hers decades ago, I guess we'll never know. 

I'd have called the wheel Black Beauty, I think (although it's unstained wood)  :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 12:54:45 am »
Ooh spooky story Sally but lovely.

Well done mammyshaz for getting your wheel and learning to spin so quickly.  It soon becomes part of your life  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

There seem to be several people on here who have recently started to spin, as well as those who have been doing it for a while.  Isn't that great  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS