Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: late summer pruning  (Read 2353 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
late summer pruning
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
I've just done the Cherries but looking at the plums and apples it feels like a crime to top off the only healthy looking growth from the last few dryish and sunnier weeks. Shall I wait for the winter to prune the apples and leave the plums?  One of my older plum trees would need some larger branches chopped though - and I can't do those in winter or I risk silverleaf disease. Anyone who can help me solve this puzzle?
 :&>

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: late summer pruning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
Don't know but watching with interest, I've a dwarf plum, planted this year, and don't know if I should touch it or not??

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:23 am »
Come to the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival and ask Caroline Beaton (co-author of "Fruit and Vegetables for Scotland") or John Hancox of Scottish / Commonwealth Orchards  :thumbsup:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
Similar here - to prune or not to prune - this year has been a fruit famine for us
Damson - no flower = no fruit & hardly any leaves, looks dead
Plums - both dead
Cherries - did flower, but no fruit to be seen, fair amount of leaves
Apples - did try & flower - eaters - no fruit / cooker has 1 apple on it  :fc:  it ripens/ crab apples - those planted this year & 2 years ago have a small amount of fruit, last years planting - zilch
Blueberries - did well & had fruit on them, but cage got broken in gale & birds ate the fruits
Currants & gooseberries - eaten by OH's chooks  :furious:  - I told her they would  :innocent:  ditto the strawberries
It's down to hedgerow foraging for us this year  ::)

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS