Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholder or Country smallholding magazine?  (Read 3225 times)

lesleysprite

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Fife
Smallholder or Country smallholding magazine?
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:29 am »
Which is best? Or what is each best for? Would be grateful for your opinions :-)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Re: Smallholder or Country smallholding magazine?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
I have read both, but getting more frustrated by the amount of adverts and celebrities that want to get in on the act, and they could rename them the "Alpaca monthly"?
Getting bored with them now.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »
Only my opinion BUT i have found smallholder much better for real smallholder stuff, Country Smallholder as Tobyboy says has gone a bit yummy mummy alapaca smallholder for me full of ads, gloss, clean wellies and wannabee celeb smallholders and masses of poultry stuff (i don't do feathers  :(  bit allergic), used to have them both on order at the shop but after a couple of years they got a bit repetitive and i only buy them now when something on the cover takes my fancy.
Love country kitchen and practical pigs is not bad, depends what your passion is.
mandy  :pig:

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:22 pm »
agree with Tobyboy!!

Have you tried Small Farmer? - it seems more geared up for small farmers surprisingly!!

lots of good ideas and recipes, not too much about chickens and alpacas. Some good articles from Dot and Tim Tyne and other subscribers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »
agree with Tobyboy!!

Have you tried Small Farmer? - it seems more geared up for small farmers surprisingly!!

lots of good ideas and recipes, not too much about chickens and alpacas. Some good articles from Dot and Tim Tyne and other subscribers.

Do you mean Home Farmer?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »
I think all the mags mentioned here are geared towards the novice/"yet-to-become-a smallholder" reader, so most of the articles are quite basic. It seems once you have had a few years subscrption it becomes a bit repetitive, and you are usually looking for more specific advice on the animals you are actually keeping.
I now only read Countrysmallholding sporadically and the one thing I do miss is the articles by Tim Tyne... so I hope that his new book will have them in...
I got fed up with Smallholder ages ago - too many typos/spelling erros etc...
I sometimes have read Home Farmer, but my local shop doesn't stock it anymore....

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »
I agree with all of the above ;D  We subscribed to them before we were actually smallholders and the do get repetitive and far too many alpacas. I would only get them when I saw something in them that caught my eye. Even then they never go into much detail.
Lesleysprite - you could just read this forum and ask questions and it's all free :innocent:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:12:42 pm »

I got fed up with Smallholder ages ago - too many typos/spelling erros etc...

:roflanim: :roflanim:

And yet as a hero member you must like this site with all the typos / spelling and grammar errors on here.
 :roflanim: :roflanim:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »
Smallholder and Practical Pig get my vote,  Country Smallholding ok but agree with some of the comments.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS