Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: IMPT re Fluke  (Read 8173 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: IMPT re Fluke
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:44 am »
Thanks Val - very timely, though clear as mud what I ought to do.  I'm sure the vet will be very keen to sit down and develop an individual program with me for my 14 sheep. Not !!  I did treat for fluke in June and was told to treat gain in October, so I might just bring that forward a bit.  The article contradicts the leaflet I picked up in the vet (as does the vets recommendations!!) which says recent weather paterns have produced low fluke conditions and that treatment should be evidence based to prevent resistance (like worming).  Maybe it was true before the wettest summer?  Preventative medication of sheep, I hate the subjectivity of it!  Autumn goal is to understand the Soil Association organic guidance (not that I am, but am hoping that is guidance on what is the absolute 'must do' medication and what is the stuff that has leached to smallholding sheep care from commercial farming systems.  Anyone on here organinc - what do you do re fluke?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:34 am »
My vet told me recently that it was too early to treat for fluke  ::) . Never know what to do for the best  ???

Met a lady the other day who kept a flock of over 80 Soay. Never did any routine treatment - no heptavac, fly strike stuff or routine worming/fluke. Said she never had any serious problems/ did not lose sheep as a consequence.

Interesting. ???

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:25:35 am »
All depends on your local environment really.
And the weather.  I think the change in weather patterns is changing when certain things are hatching/breeding etc.

I have small snails all over the place here (south wales), and have done all summer, and have I streams in half of my fields, so I treat from Sept/Oct to May.  I follow Nadis's advice every year, which changes year on year.  Just started my fluke treating this week.
I think Fluke is one of those things that once you notice symptoms it's quite well developed and sometimes too late for the poor sheep.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:05 am »
I bashed my sheep with a combined wormer/flukicide beginning aug, cos I had cocci as well as worms which is so odd for the time of year, I thought I might as well use a wormer that does fluke too, just in case.

Your fluke incidence probably depends where you live. We don't see much of it down here, better to take local advice rather than a 'one size fits all' for the entire country.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:10 pm »
We were told to treat for fluke with a separate preparation this month by the vet. I guess that's local conditions.... But when I mentioned this at the agri store they looked at me a bit gone out and suggested the usual Combinex - otherwise the smallest bottle of pure fluke stuff was for 50 sheep (we have 16).

So - haven't done anything yet......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »
It defiantely depends on if you have a problem with fluke on your land. It tends to be related to the type of land you have rather than the way it is managed.

I'm sure the vet will be very keen to sit down and develop an individual program with me for my 14 sheep. Not !!

Have you asked them? You might be surprised.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »
We were told to treat for fluke with a separate preparation this month by the vet. I guess that's local conditions.... But when I mentioned this at the agri store they looked at me a bit gone out and suggested the usual Combinex - otherwise the smallest bottle of pure fluke stuff was for 50 sheep (we have 16).

So - haven't done anything yet......
  If you have fluke in your sheep, 3 treatments over the winter period would be a minimum so you would use all of the bottle , if you don't have fluke then you don't need any, i have fluke in the sheep and treat at least 5 times .          F I B  when i was organic i still had to treat as normal , animal welfare comes first but i was encouraged to drain or fence wet areas.      IN THE HILLS  all my ewes are treated at weaning  in august  :raining:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »
shep53 - thanks for that. Will get back in touch with our vet because I was told by a neighbouring farmer that we probably would get fluke due to stream through all our paddocks and rushes in places. And with all the rain we've had .......

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:09:48 pm »
Right - we've also got wet land - rushes in the fields and boggy bits in places etc. I shall start this weekend.

The vet probably took one look and advised accordingly!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »
I have never treated for fluke, but my main field has been boggy all summer so have just got some Cydectin TriclaMox to do them with just in case as it has a persistent effect on roundworms which have been very active lately!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »
Your vet can take blood samples to test for fluke which may be cheaper than treating for something you may not have .  I f  you  have to treat remember their are three different  chemicals    NITROXYNIL _ Trodax CLOSANTEL_  Flukiver / Closamectin /Supaverm      TRICLABENDAZOLE _ Fasinex / Ttibex /Endofluke/ Combinex /Fasimec  :raining:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »
Thanks for that - I think I will get a blood test - is it likely that they will all have it or not or could one have it and not the rest?.  When 2 died over the winter and had PM there was no sign in the liver, but there were only ewe lambs so vet said that didnt rule it out and as we are in a wet anf fluky area vet suggested dosing (not based on positive ID in our sheep).  Thanks all for great thread informative as ever.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »
It is possible  for afew sheep to have fluke and not the rest or to have different levels of infection , it depends on where they graze :raining:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:19 pm »
This worming lark is very confusing and contradictory.  I regularly FEC and worm accordingly.  Eventually, having asked for fluke test, vet says eggs for this and other worms don't always shed and therefore not always identifiable even if affected.

I wormed in June for everything regardless of egg count and will do same in autumn.

Will blood testing definitely show up fluke? Does it show up anything else?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS