Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How niosy are Turkeys  (Read 4339 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
How niosy are Turkeys
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »
Hi,There are two conflicting views on another post BeeWyched has said "& definately not as noisy as chocks - that'll please the neighbors"
Fairhavenfarm has said "They are fairly noisy I suppose"

I have 12 bronze turkeys and was expecting them to be noisy,this is the first time I have kept them.Just how noisy are they.I also keep geese in the neighboring paddock,just how noisy will they be compared with the geese.

Graham.
Graham.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: How niosy are Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:55:32 pm »
Generally quiet but if one starts to gobble the rest follow suit! Not an annoying sound and doesn't usually last long.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »
The noise wouldnt put me off turkeys, I only worried about them because of them apparently stressing and keeling over if one has low flying jets etc (which we do!)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »
The noise wouldnt put me off turkeys, I only worried about them because of them apparently stressing and keeling over if one has low flying jets etc (which we do!)

:-\  what are they like with hot air balloons, gliders and prison vans?  Is it just loud, fast and unexpected noises like jets do you think that keels them over?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:14 pm »
Funnily enough, ours are quite noisy and make a contact call a lot. In fact, I can hear them now.  However, my brother kept 3 last year in his small suburban garden and they hardly made any noise.  They were all from the same hatch.

Re: noise, we get the odd low flying jet and have never had one keel over in fright.

Helen

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:46:33 pm »
Get them a nice bedtime book of Christmas Recipes  :merryxmas:  that'll keep them quiet  :stir:

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »
no noisier than chooks......
love the turkeys
we have one stag (jim) and his girls all year and then the christmas gang :innocent: :innocent: :yum:
the males just gobble one after the other but not annoying. they don't make early noises like cockerals either
just be aware if the boys decide to fight for dominance they will fight till the death
we had one ring leader last year that had christmas early as he just set the others off ::)
once he had gone to visit santa :hohoho: in the north pole the others settled down again

still love  :turkey: :turkey: :excited: :excited:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »
no noisier than chooks......
once he had gone to visit santa :hohoho: in the north pole the others settled down again

:roflanim: :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:11 am »

I disagree - ours were definitely more noisy than chooks last year. If one started a conversation, the rest all joined in  ;D .  Also, they got noisier with age too, although not as loud or annoying as adult geese.

It all depends - do you have close neighbours?  If so, I'm sure they could easily be bought off with a nice turkey-related Christmas present  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:04:23 pm »
I've got chooks, geese and turkeys. The turkeys are definitely the quietest by far. The geese make a horrendous racket and all but 2 if not sold will be eaten! The cockerals are pretty noisy, specially in the morning. The turkeys, by comparison, are silent. This is the first year I've had them and I think they are fabulous birds. :turkey:
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS