Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which arc  (Read 3398 times)

KatSanders

• Joined Sep 2012
Which arc
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right!

I live in North Yorkshire with my husband and a loveable hound and for a while now we have wanted to raise our own pigs.  We have done lots of research in books and have just been on a fantastic hands on course.  My query is to ask what kind of arc is best and if anyone can recommend where to get one from?

We want to make sausages and have pork for the freezer; I would like either large blacks, GOS or Berkshires, can anyone pass on any suggestions.  Any tips/advice most welcome.

Thanks!

Kat :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Which arc
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »
Hiya Kat & welcome from a  :raining:  West Scotland
You'll find masses of friendly advice & support on here  ;D
Would you possibly be able to do a bit of DIY & build your arc?  It'll save you a fair bit of £  ;)
Karen had put some build-your-own instructions on here & they've turned-out great;
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?board=11.0
As for breeds of weaner pigs - everyone has their favourite  - try & visit as many local breeders as you can before you decide & if you buy locally, from a reputable breeder, you will always have someone close by on hand for hands-on assistance  :thumbsup:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:14 am »
In next months smallholder magazine, I will be writing a guide on how to build an ark and there will be about four pictures (all that I am allowed),  the following month I will be do the same with a temporary ark such as a straw one.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:47 am »
Hi Kat
Welcome to the world of piggies  :thumbsup:  i'm near Northallerton if you want to visit or talk piggy, we keep GOS pigs, free range in wooden arks made by my OH.
Lots of info on this site and also 'getting started' articles on the GOS website www.oldspots.org.uk
Did you go on one of Rachel's courses?
Anyway best of luck
Mandy  :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:33:01 am »
Welcome Kat  :wave: from over west in Cumbria where for once the sun is shining  :sunshine: on us, our beef and sheep farm, collie dogs and hound  :dog:, native ponies, pigs,  choox, Muscovy ducks, rare breed sheep and growing Jersey house herd.

I've only had my own pigs for two years, having wanted them all my life.  Just picked up 2 Large Black weaners (they're still Little Blacks at the moment, of course) from Karen (HappyHippy, she'll be along to say Hi fairly soon) and they are the cutest wee fellas. Friendly, bright and greedy  :love: :pig: just like pigs should be.

When we started we managed to find a good solid 2nd hand arc.  It's 9' x 7'; when we got it home our then OSB porkers seemed lost in its massive interior!  Now, with a supposedly breeding sow and the last of her last litter about ready to go for bacon, it doesn't seem large at all!

Have fun with your pigs - and tell us all about it here (with pictures!) please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »
hi there,
New Pig arks are a big expense so building or buying a second hand one is a good move. We have gone to a couple of auctions now and picked up good bargains. Obv fairly sizeable trailer in needed.
Have a look around near to where you live too. Sometimes the are old arks lying in peoples fields which are just too much of a hassle to move.  No harm, in making an offer on one.   It is easy to improve them. Old dealers on top for winter insulation, bang in a few planks to sturdy up the bottoms etc.

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:43 pm »
when started we bought a carbery plastic arc, although expensive at first a year later it has taken every thing our gloucester old spots threw at it and still looks as good as new . In fact were looking at buying a second one for out litter of piglets .

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »
Hi,

Im sure my view will generate some adverse comments, but here goes anyway......

It all depends in my view on how your budget is and if pigs are to be a long term venture for you.

If you are just looking to try it out then by all means buy cheap or build your own.

However if the budget stretches to it, and you see yourself keeping pigs for years to come then invest in a good quality commercial type arc.

Then you stand a chance of the pigs not destroying it within days, and it not falling apart in the middle of winter in 5 years time - Plus if you buy from a reputable company they will still be in business if you ever need repairs or new parts.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS