Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Todays home made sausages .....  (Read 14465 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Todays home made sausages .....
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 04:54:16 pm »
thankyou Robert :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 06:27:07 pm »
Thank you from me too, and might you be able to put in the address of the Hampshire boar in Dorset as well ???   Tamsaddle

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:17 pm »
Thanks Linda that was very interesting. Questions not yet over though  ;D
Do you have an electric mincer? I am worried that my hand mincer might not be upto the job (well, I might not be upto the job)
Presumably you have a special tool for filling the casing. Is it stand alone or is it an attachment to something you already have?
Can't you just tell I am a complete novice, but your sausages look so professional that I am tempted to give it a go.
thanks
Sally

Hi Sally

Re the mincer, it is an attachment to our Kenwood Chef and we have one of the vertical, hand cranked sausage stuffers, it does need two of us to stuff the casings, one to turn the handle and the other to 'control' the sausages !!! Re being a complete novice, don't worry just give it a go!  :sunshine:

Cheers Linda

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:03 pm »
Those sausages look fab - now going to ask for more minced pork back next week and have a go myself :fc:

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
everybody has to start with something and somewhere      to get fully equipped is a lot of money    proper chopping block and stand    mincer   everybody starts with a cheap one   we did as well  but the meat suffers  with going through the small mincers     for every one degree the meat heats up when mincing is one day less on its shelf life  and these small mincers do heat it up  and take ages    now i am not advocating everybody  goes and gets a bigger capacity mincer   you have a good base product   why take the edge of it     stuffers are  another cost saver  or expense the combined ones heat the meat up again and you have to work at there speed      manual stuffers are quite expressive for what they are    but you can work at your speed  and get a better finished sausage      and don't forget the knifes on the mincer they do get the edge off them  and can be refaced                 happy sausage making  and remember there are loads of competitions out there   you just never know :farmer:

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:21 am »
Hi Robert
Could you let me know what type/make of mincer you have please as when we were making the sausages on Sunday I did find the mincing tedious and was worried the amount of meat going through would be putting a strain on the Kenwoods motor.  I am quite happy with the vertical manual stuffer we have which does seem to do a decent job and is easy to control.  Have you any sausage recipes you are willing to share, if they aren't a 'trade sceret'  :)
Thanks
Linda

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:54 am »
i am the test panel  for new variety's   it is Lillian that is the chopper and mixer :roflanim:
the first mincer we bought was one from northern tools   i think it was about £80   good enough to get you started but   it was taking ages to mince a pig        the new one we got  is a Torrey  from weshenfielder   about £1000   but it saves you time  20 min to mince a pig after being cubbed     minimall heat generation if at all and you can do more pigs per day      and be knackered after it
the northern tools one does labour when mincing  :farmer:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:23 pm »
Just as Robert is Lillian's tester, I'm Linda's, its a tough job but someone has to do it!  :roflanim:

Regarding mincers, does anyone else have any recommended brands? Their is a big difference between an £80 and a £1000 machine!

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 03:03:28 pm »
thanks for the itallian recipie, could i be cheeky and ask what lincolnshire recipie you used please. thankyou

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »
Just as Robert is Lillian's tester, I'm Linda's, its a tough job but someone has to do it!  :roflanim:

Regarding mincers, does anyone else have any recommended brands? Their is a big difference between an £80 and a £1000 machine!

Many thanks

Pete
keep a lookout on ebay, the time differance between the two is oh diddams, deerie me, been at this for hours and still got loads to do, back knackered, feet sore, by using the bigger mincer you can get the mincing done in 20 mins and that is about 60 kilos  :relief:

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 04:59:04 pm »
Thanks Lill I will definitely keep a look out on e bay.  I had a look on the Weschenfelder website at the Torrey ones that Robert mentioned and they do look good.  We definitely cant keep using the Kenwood mincer attachment for any serious quantity of meat, it does take far too long and will ultimately ruin the Kenwood.
Early Bird - The Lincolnshire one was a pre mixed one that I got off this website www.sausagemaking.org but others including Weschenfelder do them as well.  So far it is only the Italian one I have done from scratch but am planning on giving other ones a go in the future.  There is something very satisfying about it doing it from start to finish with your own meat and ingredients and knowing what is exactly in the food you are feeding the family  :thumbsup:
Linda :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
I am thinking of cheating and asking the abattoir to give me mince to cut out the hard part of the work.
Having said that I still intend that the abattoir makes most of the sausages for us. I just want to dabble this time round.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
Sally that is exactly what I have asked for - ready made sausages but a bit of mince to have a go myself :excited:

earlybird

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
thanks for the info , had a quick look it looks like a fab website will be looking at it in more detail later, this forum is great for us newbies it gives us a bit more confidence to try things, thanks

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »
We started off with the £80 mincer which was quite useless and kept getting blocked up.  Our new mincer is made by Buffalo, cost ranges from £350 - £390;  lots of the online catering shops have them.   Very heavy duty and excellent for smallholder level volumes of sausages.    We can mince about 20 kg of fatty pork in 5 - 10 minutes, goes through a treat, including the fat, and nothing gets hot.  Was definitely worth the investment - Tamsaddle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS