Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fast growing native trees  (Read 8201 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Fast growing native trees
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »
Horror of horrors- my townie neighbours have planted a the hedge weed that is lleyandii- along our common boundary.

What hedge/trees can i plant along my side so that i dont have to look at this. Looking for something fast growing- native. Ive got loads of room for them- the higher the better.

Declan

bangbang

Re: Fast growing native trees
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
As far as I am aware pine or spruce grow pretty quick, but
I would buy them in at 6' or taller to start with, so you know they are
reasonably healthy. I would also check that your soil conditions
you have suit the trees.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »
the problem is the leylandii will grow faster and leach all the moisture from the soil

good news is if they are planted as  a hedge they now have to be contained at 6ft6 high as they changed the law a few years back to stop them being allowed to get to the 40 ft nightmares that blight or landscape!!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
salt.
loads of salt. accidentally spread around the bases....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:22:38 pm »
Lleylandii love acid soil , so a bit of lye wouldn't really help them grow.... but on the other hand - if they are growing in the main wind direction they could provide some shelter... also against snow.
As someone said before they are very good at taking all the available moisture, so anything you grow on the other side would struggle, possibly also for light.
Not much you can do I would think....

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »
Deepinthewoods - i like your thinking but i dont know if i could bring myself to do it!!
Bloomer- its exactly the height im worried about- I am happy to keep my side neat and trim and admittedly they will break the wind but having them 40ft is what im annoyed about- yer man is a bit useless in the garden and ive no faith that he will maintain these- he bought these on the cheap-because they were cheap.
Better than their planning permission states that lleylandi and not permitted but in the vein of neighbourliness i wanted to do something on my side t ohide their trees rather than moan to them or cause a row.

Keep the suggestions coming.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 04:14:19 pm »
well once they reach 6ft6 remind him to trim them if that fails call the local council and they will issue an enforcement notice i can't remember the exact legislation off top of head but if you get stuck ask anf i'll look it up, i landscape for a living and it was welcomed by most of us as i dont know a decent landscaper/gardener who likes the bloody things!!!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »
Presumably if you keep your side trimmed, and then keep the height to 2 m it won't be too bad.   :-\

I planted several leylandii in places where I wanted to screen something or create a wind break and if they are regularly trimmed and kept in check they look fine.  :)

In one I am encouraging ivy to grow through it to give a more natural look.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:54:18 pm »
Horror of horrors- my townie neighbours have planted a the hedge weed that is lleyandii- along our common boundary.

What hedge/trees can i plant along my side so that i dont have to look at this. Looking for something fast growing- native. Ive got loads of room for them- the higher the better.

Declan
If neighbour doesnt cooperate this is the legislation that your council can employ to make him do so. Hope this helps
http://www.doeni.gov.uk/index/protect_the_environment/local_environmental_issues/high_hedges_2.htm

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »
Hawthorn , ash and cycamore grow fast and are nice to look at if the legal route doesn't work :&>

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
Could try planting Ivy (or russian vine?) - didn't do my parents privet hedge much good, big bare patches along the hedge. might quietly throttle the leylandii.
However I have to admit, I have a 30ft leylandii hedge as a windbreak for the fruit patch - kept trimmed to about 8ft and it's wonderful. (No neighbours)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS