Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off colour sow  (Read 3822 times)

littleacre farm

• Joined Aug 2012
off colour sow
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:54:31 am »
Hi i wonder if anyone can help.  i have a gos cross tamworth sow, who i purchased approx 10 weeks ago. i put in a boar 7 weeks ago and a further sow 3 weeks ago.  they live in a field with an arc for shelter. today the first sow is not eating her food.  her back teats have been swelling up as if in pig.  her underside feels warm to the touch and is quite pink from the underside of her neck all the way the to her legs.  she is not swollen or pink at her back end.  the lady i bought her from says she has not been with a boar (although there was a boar there).  does this sound like a bit of sunburn?  or has anyone got any other ideas.  the other pigs are all fine.  she is around 3 years old.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: off colour sow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
Hi Littleacre
Any warm swelling is usually a sign of infection, maybe she's picked up a bug via a nick or cut on her stomach or teats. I would take her temperature and if its above the norm 38.8 deg C administer a long lasting antibiotic. If she's off her food too this is also a sign all is not well. Sunburn wouldn't necessarily affect her undercariage unless she's been laid flat out in the sun for a long time, you could try mopping the affected area with tepid antiseptic water too. Also try and get some liquid into her, diluted fruit juice, milk or plain clean water, we use a 500ml water bottle to do this.
Would have a chat with your vet, chances are he/she will make the same assumption as me and administer AB's. HTH
Hope she recovers soon, all the best
mandy  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:24:05 am »
Agree with Mandy here - temperature & speak to vet asap, same with fluids  :thumbsup:  Is there any pattern to the redness?  Are you able to post a photo?
Hope she's gonna be ok  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:44 am »
what have they been inoculated for if at all     do not delay call your vet now    pigs can die in a short period of time :farmer:

littleacre farm

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:22 am »
i've checked her temp. it is 40.8 i think i'll ring the vet thanks

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
Good idea thats way over what it should be.
 :fc:
let us know what the vet says and how she is.
Al the best
Mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:06:28 pm by Fowgill Farm »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
How's your sow LF?  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

littleacre farm

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »
Hi i have had the vet out.  she didnt have a clue what it is but gave her a jab of antibiotic.  i'll see how she is in the morning.
thanks everyone :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »
At least it's not erysipelas then  :relief:
Hope she's on the road to recovery now  :fc:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:54 am »
Hi i have had the vet out.  she didnt have a clue what it is but gave her a jab of antibiotic.  i'll see how she is in the morning.
thanks everyone :wave:

Not an unusual response from the vet, very few have piggy experience sadly but at least you've got some antibiotics into her so she should be feeling a little better this morning, keep up with the fluids and tempt her with some choice morsels (strawberrys do it for my girls :) ), this will sound daft but a cold damp face cloth on her head around her ears will sooth too. i'm sure you'll be giving her plenty of TLC :hug:
 :fc:  Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »
it is surprising how little vets know about pigs     unless you have been lucky to get one that has had commercial experience before they all went high health status :farmer:

littleacre farm

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 02:12:20 pm »
Hi Dotty is up and about like nothing was every wrong.  Thanks for your support everyone.   :eyelashes:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:03:56 pm »
brilliant news, :thumbsup: thanks so much for letting us know.
well done you for pulling her thro always a trauma when a pig is ill becoz they can't tell you whats wrong
bestest mandy :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
So glad that Dotty is well again  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS