Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching Goose Eggs - Anyone Successful??  (Read 2414 times)

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
Hatching Goose Eggs - Anyone Successful??
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:47:25 am »
Hi - have been trying to hatch goose eggs for years, and I don't know where I am going wrong. Each year I have to buy in my goslings for Christmas as I seem to be unable to hatch any from my own geese. We did manage to hatch half a dozen under a broody goose, but that was two years ago. Since then nothing. I have tried different incubators, always with a digital hygrometer to measure temperature and humidity, and have kept this to the recommended levels. The eggs are fertile, as I can see on candling, they are just either not fully forming, or are simply unable to hatch?? I have been successful hatching chicks, ducklings, runner ducklings and quail, but the geese still elude me. Have tried our small Maino cabinet incubator, a large Curfew incubator, and a Brinsea incubator, all with automatic turners. I really do not know where I am going wrong, and obviously the person from whom I buy my young goslings will not tellme their secret, as I would then stop needing their day-olds!!! Does anyone have any ideas???  Catherine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS