Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kubota compact mower just stopped working!  (Read 3438 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Kubota compact mower just stopped working!
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »
i have a 6yr old kubota compact mower - happily trundling along this morning (after charging dying battery). cut for an hour or so, stopped to pick something up, got back on, turned switch - nada!  Not even a click click

Took the car up to jump start - didn't work.  what can it be - starter motor perhaps?

robert waddell

Re: Kubota compact mower just stopped working!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:27:45 pm »
jap starter motors  don't pack up  it will more likely be the solenoid    seen this with a Honda quad bike    the terminals could also be furred up      if you bridge the solenoid and it starts     it is def the solenoid :farmer:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »
Oh yes, understood every word of that!  Bit of a dumbo with mechanics - I am presuming "a man" will be needed...

but - is it easy to bridge the solenoid?  could do with finishing my mowing...

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:00:27 am »
I've had a Kubota starter motor give up on me, but it took about 12 years.  It just went clonk when you turned the key so the solenoid was working but the motor was not. 

Bridging the solenoid the brutal way is to stick a spanner across the terminals, the solenoid merely being a heavy switch which you're short-circuiting.  There will be a big SPAP if the motor is working but it should be able to turn the engine over. 

Was that what you meant Robert or is there better way?

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
I hate to say - but I don't know what the solenoid looks like!  Is it the round barrel thingy?
I will be calling in a favour from a tractor mate I reckon!

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:56:35 am »
yes a round barrel but quite small    if you follow the red battery lead from the battery you should trace it    the starter is at the other end of the cable     but check all the battery cable connectors  clean them with a wire brush or file  then coat with grease  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS