Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ID for abattoir  (Read 3543 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
ID for abattoir
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
I bought in weaners (so button eartags with the farm inof), they have been here for 6 mths and off to slaughter tomorrow. 

Do I still slapmark with my details and tell the abattoir to ignore the buttons?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: ID for abattoir
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
They will need the herd no. of the departing holding - which is yours - so if you normally slapmark, then yes they'll need your slapmark.

The abattoir will normally look at slapmark first, so will ignore the buttons

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:04 am »
They didn't need to be tagged by the breeder in order to move them to you - but the breeder may have tagged just for management (litter ID) purposes. As oaklandspigs says, the important thing is that they bear YOUR herd mark - either slapmark or tag - when they go for slaughter.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:58 am »
thanks all - now to catch them for collection at 1!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS