Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: NEED Fresh Comfrey leaf (Symphytum officinale)  (Read 8868 times)

ChileanCampbell

• Joined May 2009
NEED Fresh Comfrey leaf (Symphytum officinale)
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:10 am »
My horses have a respiratory ailment and the leaves of this plant (Common Comfrey) alleviate the symptoms, given fresh.   I’ve planted some seeds, but it will take a few months.   Does anyone have some growing in the Guildford, Surrey area – happy to cut /collect.   They don’t need a lot – just a handful a day for a few days – Thank you.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: NEED Fresh Comfrey leaf (Symphytum officinale)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:01:27 am »
I do, but to far away even to post(central scotland) have you tried your local freecycle group?

Linz

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:30:06 pm »
have a look around your nearest river bank. Up here (Blairgowrie, Scotland) it is everywhere, although mainly along the river bank (with the wild garlic) but also in the back road hedgerows. It is a very common tenacious plant so you should be able to find loads of it, with a bit of foraging. Good Luck!

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »
have look on your local allotments, there should be someone there with it  growing . If you want your own for later , then get some root from Bocking number 14, it is a sterile variety of comfrey that can only spread by root cutting . Sym.Off. can spread by seed and become a pain in the bum , so take care with that one.  If you have difficulty getting hold of bocking 14 root then you can buy it from chase organics. 

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:11 pm »
yup, Russ - it's all over the place now in my garden, can't make liquid feed or give roots away fast enough!
I agree with you and Linz, an allotment group or freecycle would be the best places to ask! :&>

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:05:53 pm »
hi as others say plenty growing around ....my pennies worth....take care when handling it - it is carcinogenic....it also should only be used on a short term basis, and the roots should never be given to horses.

You prob already know this ...but worth mentioning anyway.
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 03:17:16 pm »
never heard of it being carcinogenic through handling Emma ????? ,apart from reccommendations not to let come into contact with broken skin  !!!! but no proof of any cases of any form of cancer from contact with it . There are reports ??? that it can harm the liver , but there is no conclusive proof anywhere that comfrey was the cause of any liver disease that I am aware of . All human cases (3 or 4 )  are very much debatable as to cause of the illness !!! In Lawrence D Hills book of Comfrey ( he being the definitive sage on all things comfrey !!) he says that it would take a fully grown man drinking many , many cups of comfrey tea every day , for 140 years to show any signs of liver disease due to drinking comfrey tea. This being based on the amount of Pyrrolizidine Alkaloids present in comfrey , ie very small amounts, but even this was only a maybe scenario !!. Almost anything taken in excess can be harmfull even water . One or two paracetamol or aspirin can ease pain or bring down temps...but take too many and you are in serious trouble !!
http://www.equineiridology.eu/herbs.php    scroll down to the section on comfrey ....
  So no conclusive evidence of any cases as far as I know ???? I think the good seems to far outweigh the possible bad !!! All a matter of choice really .

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 03:23:22 pm »
Is this supposed cancerogenic property based on research? I've heard that it supposedly caused liver damage when taken internally, but in my opinion this information has to be taken with caution. I remember that all coltsfoot medication had to be taken off the shelves following one single case for the same reason until the woman in question admitted to a drug problem...

Comfrey is still listed as an edible wild plant

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/index.php/wild-foods/186-wild-food-in-the-st-werburghs-area-of-bristol-uk-by-andy-aamp-dave-hamilton-and-fergus-drennan

:&>

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:40:45 pm »
supposedly yes ... Pyrrolidizine alkaloids are present in comfrey, and it is that PA, that is said to cause liver disease. Of that I think there is proof enough , but it is the amount in comfrey that is cause for debate . It would take many years to have any effect on any human or animal from what I can see. There have been a couple of people that have done some research , but none with any conclusive results . It was withdrawn from the shelves in the US because PA were present and it COULD be a problem IF enough were to be taken over MANY YEARS . Well I can't imagine anyone eating tons of the stuff for their whole life . There just is not enough evidence (well none that I have read )  that it causes anything apart from healing and good health . I will continue to feed it to my horses and any other animals I have ,and I will use it for myself too . I have used it many times for cuts , even bruises . 

cheers

Russ

ChileanCampbell

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:32 am »
Comfrey - Horses - NOT Humans

It has been used for 100's of years as a remedy for internal end external ailments.  Regenerates bone and body tissue, eases inflamation and pain in joints muscles and tendons.  The leaves contains mucilage, tannins, asparagin, alkaloids and vit B12 and C.   

For my purposes COPD - its for its mucilage, which are small slimy stringy exudates that have a healing and soothing action on membranes.  In this case the lungs.   

See article - horse and hound: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horse-care-index/1370/39686.html

I am still looking for a source, have tried to find allotment groups, but no luck so far in the guildford area, will phone the council on monday.

thanks for comments so far.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
from memory comfrey has been banned by the FDA, and several countries,  due to hepatoxic, mutagenic, and carcinogenic properties. I have some time ago read the research but cant now quote it. So my 'evidence' should be considered invalid!

We have to all take our evidence from several areas....research, and personal experiential evidence.....then make up our minds. Simply googling comfrey will give loads of evidence for either argument. So again, we can take our chances... still I wouldn't be putting comfrey anywhere near my horses knowing that horses have a tendency to over-granulation and cell hyperactivity....combine that with the very much heightened cell stimulating properties of comfrey (one of its selling points).....mmmm no thanks!
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:17:12 am »
We went round Gartmorn Dam with the dogs this afternoon and there is loads of it there
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:03:52 am »
yep ...horses for courses Emma.. ::) ;D ;D some people won't touch dairy products , some won't touch meat etc etc ....all have pro's and con's, in most cases no one is right or wrong !!! . We all have the right to do as we see fit for ourselves , our families and our animals , where things change is where governments make the decision for us...ie GM food . Nice to know everyones opinions on it though ... ;D

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »
Sorry, abit off topic with horses, but I felt I needed to reply. Emma, I think google is a brilliant tool to illustrate a point and it is probably as biased or independent as any research.
The FDA and any of its sister organisations all over the world approve preparations which are economically interesting and ban or discredit the ones the industry at best finds no use for or which pose a threat- but not necessarily to the public. Most herbs are of no interest to the economy and make their users more self-sufficient, so any excuse will do (I mentioned coltsfoot as an example). One positive example how it works is St. John's Wort. It was found to be of interest to the industry, money was miraculously found to conduct research and a comprehensive list of contraindications could be established. For other herbs no such money is available, so they are pretty quick with the ban. I believe in informed choices and herbalism should be on the curriculum in schools as it was the main source of medicine and tool for prevention for most generations before us. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
Well said, Kerstin.  It's yet another aspect of the Establishment I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS