Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here come the girls!!!  (Read 9478 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Here come the girls!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:58 pm »
You've had it now Sally - they do look very nice girls - looking forward to hearing about their progress - oh and stop showing off that they are so tame - mine are just canny now, tame when they want to be and off when they see a syringe!!! ;D ;D
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »
Oh Sally they are just gorgeous  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 07:32:06 am »
Were they the castlemilks from Glasgow city? i was stood next to the city council man and he couldnt believe the price he got!

Tollcross, yes.  They're very nice wee girls.  He'd have got more for them if he'd sold them singly as per the catalogue; I couldn't take all 5 so didn't bid, same could be true of others.  Luckily, the people that bought the lot were right next to me and agreed to let me have the two I wanted.  :thumbsup:

stop showing off that they are so tame

I guess being from a children's farm helps there  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
Lovely  :thumbsup:
Hope they (and the boys) are settling in well ?  ;)

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 08:59:23 am »
Sally.....they are stunners  :excited:

So tempted to get a couple of Castlemilks myself, reckon they'd fit in lovely with the Shetlands and Soays. Must resist temptation.... :-\
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 09:09:00 am »
So tempted to get a couple of Castlemilks myself, reckon they'd fit in lovely with the Shetlands and Soays. Must resist temptation.... :-\
Why?  :eyelashes: :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 09:14:29 am »
Lovely  :thumbsup:
Hope they (and the boys) are settling in well ?  ;)

Aye  :thumbsup:  (The boys are little black weaners  :love: :pig: :pig: for those who didn't know I got a couple from Karen on Friday, pics to come later - phone camera not good enough for all-black creatures)

Both boys and both Castlemilks now come up to me for food and will eat out of my hand, and will accept (though don't yet relish) a pat.  The ducks (Muscovies from goosepimple  :love: :&> :&>) and the Manxes are a little more aloof, but seem settled and are getting used to me.

The Manxes have been named - Pricket and Dot Cotton - but everyone else is still 'Poppet' at the moment.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:37 am »
They look nice Sally, what lines are they from ? Are they registered ?
I'm having a very frustrating time at the moment trying to get genetic profiling done on a CM ram we want to use next year, the society has only 1 person trained up to run the program and they won't let anyone else have a copy. All the boys we bred last spring are line 1 significant  ranging from 0.122-lowest to 0.519 , very high , we will repeat the same matings this Autumn but next year will need a new ram to put on our lines. With such a small genetic pool to choose from we will have to be very careful not to get too close. :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:58 am »
Tiz, I think they're beautiful but no, they're not registered.  At the moment we can't handle primitive tups here.  I am more interested in spinning their lovely fleeces and in crossing to find viable commercial uses for rare breed sheep, so I am not worried about registration, lines, etc, in mine at the moment.  Maybe one day...  ;)

BH particularly likes the bigger of the Castlemilks - she's nice and square, got some heart room and a nice wide pelvis and proper back end.  The smaller was the other really nice fleeced one, is super pretty, also has a nice wide pelvis but is a little narrower in front.

The CMs will be run on this year, partly so's not to impede their early growth and partly so's I get the best possible hoggs' fleeces off them next summer  ;) :D  Then they'll probably go to a neighbour's Shetland tup (haven't asked her yet, mind!)  The Manxes are gimmers, Pricket had a lamb this year, Dot Cotton didn't.  Much as I'd love to promulgate the multi-horned Manxes  ;), unless someone nearby (and preferably over the Border in Scotland) pipes up with a Manx tup (*), they'll go to the Shetland this year.  (Really must ring her up  ;) :D)

(*) But thinking about it, probably not worth the hassle as the Manx girls aren't registered either. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 11:37:00 am »
A shetland tup sounds a good idea - not too big but the cross lambs are usually slightly bigger than both parents.  You retain the good taste of the meat AND you get some lovely fleeces from the cross offspring if you keep them on til past a year  :thumbsup: :knit: or skins if they go by end Nov.

But you know all this  ;D ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »

Still undecided whether to put a Soay or Shetland tup to them, adding a CM tup into the mix may cause me to implode  :roflanim:
May start a new thread to get some expert views (don't want to hijack your thread)
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »

Still undecided whether to put a Soay or Shetland tup to them, adding a CM tup into the mix may cause me to implode  :roflanim:
May start a new thread to get some expert views (don't want to hijack your thread)

Hijack away, or start new one, whichever you prefer is fine with me  :thumbsup:

Still don't know why you think you should resist Castlemilks...  :innocent: ;D  They absolutely would fit in with Shetlands and Soays  :thumbsup: :love: :sheep:  Shetland x Castlemilk makes lovely ewes, for all the reasons Fleecewife says, plus they just have 'something about them'.  My Shetland-breeding neighbour had a couple of Castlemilk x Shetland ewes given, and she says they were amongst her favourites of all time.  Any such cross would be capable of producing perfectly acceptable white store lambs to a commercial terminal sire, which would sell at any store mart or make good breeding ewes for a smallholder or hill farmer.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 01:26:52 pm »
A bloke close to us has crossed CM's with Hebrideans , absolutely stunning , black with moorit underbelly, and chunky with it, very good eating he says. :fc:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:42:55 pm by tizaala »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »
A bloke close to us has crossed CM's with Hebrideans , absolutely stunning , black with moorit underbelly, and chunky with it, very good eating he says. :fc:
Ooooo.... that is the only problem with crossing - there are an almost infinite number of possibilities...  :thinking: :thinking:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 02:24:23 pm »
IMO Shetlands and Castlemilks make the most wonderful crosses. But then I am biased as that is what my girls are :love:
I put them as ewe lambs to a shetland tup last year and their lambs (born April) are 80% the size of their mums already :o .
The girls were getting so fat last year so with that and the neighboring charolais ram was trying his damndest to get in with my lil girls I broke my usual habit of waiting til they are in their second Autumn before tupping them.
I'm tempted to do the same again with this years ewe lambs as it worked so well and they have never dropped any condition.
They are great little sheep and I love them dearly :love: :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS