Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Dark Side X OSB .....  (Read 6959 times)

robert waddell

Re: The Dark Side X OSB .....
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:51 pm »
the hampshire skin is just as thick as any other pig    never noticed any differance with the hampshire we had as a hog roast :farmer:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 08:55:54 pm »
We've had fab Hampshire crackling too. Skin the same. With the type of cross you are talking about the crackling should be just fine, if you like it really thick you can always up the feed in the last weeks. The fat bit will be thicker. 

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »
Thank you for your replies, I'm gonna get me some
Ann

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 09:17:55 pm »
Hi, please don't shoot me down in flames  :fc:  but how do I tell the difference between a Hampshire and a saddleback, I know my Lops and Old spots and other rare  breeds but have no knowledge of the Hampshire, just looking for advice from those that know.
Ann

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 09:30:28 pm »
Hi, please don't shoot me down in flames  :fc:  but how do I tell the difference between a Hampshire and a saddleback, I know my Lops and Old spots and other rare  breeds but have no knowledge of the Hampshire, just looking for advice from those that know.
Ann
You're not going to be shot down  ;)
A Hampshire has prick ears and a Sadlleback has lop ears  :) .  That's the most obvious difference but if you had two stood side by side they have different conformation.
Hampshire is a modern breed and is very muscular and a Saddleback is traditional so doesn't have the same muscle as a Ham.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:33:34 pm by RaisinHall Tamworths »

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »
Oops :innocent:  just read another thread and one of the obvious points is the ears, anything else

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »
Hampshire's have pricked ears  saddelbacks have drooped ears       Hampshire's have a very good shaped rear like a Belgian blue saddelbacks don't     i just love it when we are at shows and you get the young stud coming up telling his girl for the day   all about these sadelbacks    you should see there faces when he is corrected :roflanim:

the biggest difference is when they are hanging on the hook    Hampshire's are a leaner pig  :farmer:

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »
Thank you RaisinHall Tamworths and Robert, really do fancy trying a Hampshire over one of our Lops, just need a Hampshire boar now

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
If you struggle to find one we take in visiting sows.  Colin, our boar, is away on his hols at the moment but he'll be back in a month or so  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
you wont regret it      we are due a litter any day now from our lop  in pig to the hampshire :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS