Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butter nut squash  (Read 4253 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Butter nut squash
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »
Just got one from asda don't know what I gonna do with it, but can I use the seeds to grow my own?and how do I do it... Anyone know??

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Butter nut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »
It may well be an F1 hybrid in which case you may get something other than the one you have. Seeds of Italy have a lovely selection and not too expensive (you can sell surplus plants too!)
One way to cook them is this. Prod it a few times with the end of a sharp knife, oil it a bit and put in a hot oven until tenderish. Let it cool then slice half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. With a spoon scrape out the flesh, trying not to pierce the skin. Put flesh in a bowl with softened onions, breadcrumbs, chopped thyme and blue cheese. Pile back into skins and put in a hottish oven until golden and lovely. Serve with a green salad. :yum: :yum:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:21 pm »
There are two varieties suited to the British climate - Harrier and umm...another aeroplane I think.  You need to sow them sooner than you would an ordinary squash, say two months at least before expected last frost.  Here in southern Scotland I would sow them under heat in late April.  They are very frost tender so need protection.  After the last frost plant them out in very well fertilised soil, water plenty and off they'll go.   If you sow them too late they will not develop mature fruits before the first autumn frosts arrive  :squash:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
One way to cook them is this. Prod it a few times with the end of a sharp knife, oil it a bit and put in a hot oven until tenderish. Let it cool then slice half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. With a spoon scrape out the flesh, trying not to pierce the skin. Put flesh in a bowl with softened onions, breadcrumbs, chopped thyme and blue cheese. Pile back into skins and put in a hottish oven until golden and lovely. Serve with a green salad. :yum: :yum:

That sounds  :yum:  Sylvia.  Must try it.  I usually roast or steam mine.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »
Definitely one plant to sow early.

Ours are just starting to flower now so don't know if it will get too cold to see the fruit through,  or have enough sun to ripen them  :-\

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:06:16 pm »
I think I had two male flowers and no females between nine plants ( or six if you don't count the ones the slugs got).

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:28 pm »
Please explain male or female flower?  :dunce:

My pumpkin have fruit, do they have individual flowers too?

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14:16 am »
Hi MGM....Feemale flowers of all the squash/cucumber family have a small fruitlet just behind the flower the male flowers join directly onto the stem. there is a difference to the center of the flowers too but the fruitlets are the easiest to spot.
I find that they tend to produce waves of each sex...limked to the weather I think. This often means you have to cross pollinate them by hand.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:47 am »
We have some odd plants with both green and yellow full sized butternuts on the same plant. The flesh of the green fruits is very different to the usual butternut of the smae size. Maybe cross pollinated with nearby pumpkins?
Keeping seed - we lost some of our store squash to the extreme cold and I chucked the "mush" on the compost heap. Guess what ? We have pumpkin and butternut plants all over the garden and 2 growing out of the last years compost heap.
martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:36:03 am »
Ours are shocking this year, most got rotted off and the ones that did grow have very few 'fruits' on them which are tiny, along came jack Frost last week and they're now knackered so ripping them out for the compost heap, composted 4 big courgette plants last night as they too had rotted off with the cold and damp, still have 6 in production in the polytunnel so they've been fed to give them a last push. Pumpkins very poor this year normally we have to have the loader and a pallet to carry them in but this year i could carry them myself very disappointing not only for me but the pigs who love scoffing them!
mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »
Mandy - Not good new for the pigs or their food bill - what with recent posts talking of feed costs. I would hate to have set a budget for our pigs as we have no apples, plums or pears in the village this year and we had a very dry few months that set the veg garden back ( despite my watering).
So - we have been feeding the pigs a butternut or pumpkin each meal time and now won't have any to put in store for Nov - Dec before they go. I just hope that the chestnuts and acorns start to drop soon  ;D .
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:48 pm »
Same here very few orchard fruits and looking at the oaks very few acorns too, its gonna be a hard winter :gloomy:  but we'll survive we always do, i'm probably lucky because OH does indulge my pig keeping :eyelashes: and will sub me if i'm stuck, i try my hardest to make my pigs break even and after all as he says to people its my alledgedly :innocent: self financing hobby :roflanim: good job he doesn't see all the bills!
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS