Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: builth wells smallholder show  (Read 8858 times)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
builth wells smallholder show
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »
thought we might have a mosy on down to the smallholder show this year on sat, anyone around wales on the forum going? if so see you there.....................neil

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: builth wells smallholder show
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »
I think they are leaving tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:03:15 am »
I was going  ;D.....................but i'm covering for my little sis in the "race for life" now, she had a stroke yesterday and wont be doing it now  :-\
brilliant show tho ;D enjoy it any one who goes  ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:05:11 pm »
I don't live very far from Builth Showground and attend most of the shows held there.
28.000 went to the smallholder weekend last yera..Weather looks a bit iffy but loads of indoor stuff to see.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »
yeap mum has set off up their she is about 1hours drive from there she is selling her products she will be in the Woodland Section in Floral Hall (they are the ones with the lathe and a BIG white tent no roof inside the floral hall (woodland turnery)).

Linz

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:54:32 am »
Well I hope she is inside as it's chucking it down outside and I mean really pouring.Typical Hay Festival weather.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28:23 pm »
yeap she is inside with e wood lathe also inside a the floral hall and then inside their marquie tent thing with no roof (it help keep the dust and shaving down from the lathe

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »
We went - it was great. Will be back next year. Full report to follow!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »
well we went on sat, good show super stalls,bargain of the day was on one of the livestock equipment stalls shearing clippers wolseley harrier normally 280 new, 1 second hand pair only little use £130 so we snapped them up, did my very first shearing on sunday, what a superb piece of kit, will never be an expert but their looking very tidy,got the girls in the barn early because of the awful rain just lately,fleeces are nice and dry so im doing a few at a time, ryelands are quiet a challenge for a beginner legs and heads are a pain but patience will win through.........................neil

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »
I'll have a look for a step by stepguide to shearing, peasridge do one,very good clearstep by steppikis you can print of..............i'llhave a look now and post the link

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:55 am »
I think the Smallholder show is losing out on an opportunity to demonstrate skills and things new comers to smallholdings need to know.
Putting a fence up without using a tractor to bang the posts in..various ways of tightening the wire up.
Dagging sheep with a hand shears.
Drenching and worming.
Handling livestock
Culling poultry and dressing.
Training a sheepdog at different stages.
A thousand things one needs to know but was afraid to ask.

Robots ::) ::) ::).
Dogs jumping through hoops of fire ::) ::) ::)

£10 entry fee is a bit steep I think.£1 90 for a cup of coffee likewise..£4.80 for a jacket potato and beans :-\

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:37 am »
I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Don't think I have eaten so much, drank so much and laughed so much for a very long time. Excellent show and fabulous company even camping was good.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54:14 am »
I (well mum does)have a contact with a member of the commity if you want to could always contact them and give them your ideas?

Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 09:58:18 am »
Castle Farm - Demos would be great - will you tell the organisers or will I? I thought the prices were OK - we bought tickets in advance so they were half the price of the Highland Show. We had a full breakfast for £5.80 including tea and a main meal for £6 at night, which I thought was good value.

Andrew - we had such a good time. My face is still sore from laughing.

One of the puzzles for us was how the folk with the red Nissan X Trail, who were next to us on the campsite, managed to get a two furrow plough on to the roof rack of the car  ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS