Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sow and weaner rolls versus pig finisher  (Read 4770 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
sow and weaner rolls versus pig finisher
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:24:36 am »
I have just realised that my stock of food is all "Sow and Weaner" rolls. Normally I take a pallet of this then a few pallets of pig finisher. Does this really matter? They have been eating the same for the last 4 months and will be off in 4-6 weeks.....any advice? ???

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: sow and weaner rolls versus pig finisher
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:53 am »
We feed everything sow food.  With 35 sows, and most of our weaners sold at 8 weeks, it is better economics for us as we'll only be fattening a few at any one time.

Your pigs will finish quite happily on this - as with all pigs watch their fat levels in the last month and adjust feed accortdingly.

Finisher will let you finish your pigs faster but costs more - so basically it just a matter of economics. Sow food will grow them slower, is cheaper per portion but you need to feed longer.  Grower/finisher is faster but more money per portion. 

If you're just fattening and after speed then grower/finisher can work out better money.  If you're feeding other stuff and after taste and the joy of pigs rather than speed, the sow food can (not will) work out cheaper.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »
Thanks a million Oaklands! Funny, I did think they were growing slightly slower than usual, but that's fine......we're all supposed to be into the "Slow Food Movement" after all!

:excited: Thanks for reassuring me.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
I had an interesting experience recently.  Due to family going-ons/school holidays etc I could not get some large White/GOS weaners in, when they should have gone.  I had to send them 4 weeks later. These pigs were fed on 16 percent sow mix.
Although the pigs were HUGE, the fat content was perfect.
I half dreaded picking them up as I really thought that I had messed things up and was so shocked when I went through the cut boxes with one of the butchers.  They thought the meat was top class and some of the best carcasses they had through for a while.

I am now sticking to low protein. Good for my pocket and good for the pigs too.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »
wev been experimenting this year, after usually feeding on weaners then finishers, this time we have used mainly sow rolls.
result is the pigs are alot leaner but alot smaller in size in terms of growth and height. we will know weights and amount of fat in a week or so when we send in the sow-roll reared batch so will hold judgement til then. iv been more concerned with levels of fat as last yr alot of fat was cut off the carcuss.

the weaners fed sow rolls as opposed to weaner pellets are smaller too. we will see if they take longer to finish but wer in no hurry either.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS