Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And yet another one from France!  (Read 12428 times)

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
And yet another one from France!
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:27:14 am »
Hi all.  Moved with husband Nigel to Brittany to live last August (previously living in Devon). We have a small cottage with a large garden and two fields attached (the "top field" and the "bottom field").  Nigel has built some raised beds and we have started growing our own veggies and we are in the process of upgrading a big old chicken barn in our top field.  The plan is to get some goats to provide milk (and cheese) and some chooks for eggs and the table.  I've been reading loads of books and surfing the net for ages but seeing as we've only ever really had dogs and cats and not done any gardening to speak of, I'm looking forward to as much advice and tips as I can get!
Having a brilliant time so far!
Hilary

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: And yet another one from France!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:45:13 am »
Welcome. Two very nice places in the world you have lived/living. There are some great tips already posted in the forums,and when you've read though all of them,and still have questions,post a question and I'm sure it will be answered. There's some very knowledgeable people on here (I'm not one of them) and all the tips and advice are great.......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:34 am »
Thanks for that MrRee, will do just that.  Have the makings of a stinking cold so I'm staying in wrapped up warm today.  Good excuse for sitting reading forums!
Hilary

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:34:05 am »
hey welcome to the forums!  :)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:48:23 am »
welcome, this site is inspirational in its snippets of advice and experiences. once you get your teeth into this fending for yourself stuff its easy to get carried away. its nice to come on this site and learn that we all share similar problems and successes. within no time at all you will be posting things which help others, that you have experienced . a sort of cyber allotment society.  ;D

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »
Sit back , learn and enjoy - I have found these forums  both informative and funny . Everyone shares a similar  ethos - really great to know you are not alone when trying to go it alone!!! Welcome
Guy :) 
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:20:35 pm »
Hi and welcome, we have been in Brittany for over 5 years now and finally starting to integrate.  We have chickens, ambitions for a veggie patch (Hilary permitting) and around 50 pigs at the last count.  Which part of Brittany are you?

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for your welcomes.  Carl I like the idea of a cyber allotment  ;D.  Hi Mum!  I dont think we can be that far from you actually, we are about half way between Mur de Bretagne and Corlay.
Hilary
Hilary

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23:10 pm »
Hi, and welcome to the TAS forums.

Rosemary

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:12:05 pm »
Hi Hilbillie
Great name! Welcome
This site will give you so much confidence. Today you're planning chickens, in a few months you'll be up to your elbows in pigs, goats, geese +++
Just you wait and see  ;)
Pebbles

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:28:36 am »
We have friends in Mur de Bretagne, we are the other side of Pontivy - Locmine direction.

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:08:07 am »
Hello & Welcome Hilbillie  ;D

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
Are there any French left?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 02:35:01 pm »
Hello Hilbillie!
we are moving to Brittany this summer! We plan to spend pretty much all of this year renovating the house but the plan is to have animals too! I don't know if you are already making cheese but if not I'd recommend a visit to The New England Cheesemaking website - ideal for starting out with domestic scale production. We are close to Illifaut 56/22 can't wait to be there! Good luck and keep posting!
Liz x

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:36:52 pm »
An interesting website Lizt, the cheesemaking will be Nigel's area, I expect he will probably end up doing the milking as well, in fact it was his love of goats cheese that started us off on the whole idea of keeping animals.  I just love animals!  On our morning walk with the dogs (Pataud - 2/3 year old basset fauve de bretagne and Joli - young 2/3ish english setter - both rescued here in France) we pass several smallholdings with loads of different animals and it makes me really excited about getting our own.
Hilary

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
Hilary if you make cheese for sale please, please, please let me know.  Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS