Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickness  (Read 10473 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Sickness
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »
Help please, Violet is a small 13 year old cat, she was sick on Monday several times, after the first few times just bringing up bile, vet on Tuesday who gave painkiller and antibiotic, she will not eat and is drinking very little just sitting/sleeping in her bed. She brought up more bile an hour ago. She looks fine and I stroke her but can not get her to eat, which I know is OK but she also is not drinking. She is not stressed as in the room with her sister, warm and quiet, I will take her to the vet again but wonder if anyone has any ideas?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Sickness
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »
After my old cats never seemed to have anything wrong till old age go them in their late teens/early twenties we now have Bang Bang - previously all girls - he seems to have phases of getting ill - not sure if he goes somewhere he shouldn't or eaten something that maybe ate poison but now and again he doesn't eat. My fall back is tuna and tuna brine, hopefully strong smelling enough to get the taste buds going.
Hope she picks up Chris  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:05 pm »
Thanks Brucklay, will try, the cooked chicken and steamed fish did not work but maybe something with a bit more smell :thinking:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »
Try to get fluids into her rather than tempt her to eat - mind you that isn't so easy as with a dog.  I have used a dropper to put drops of water under the tongue so they have to swallow.  Hope you get her to take something soon.  Did the vet give any reasons for her being sick?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
Nope to the tuna, her sister is loving all the food coming her way ::)  she does not seem to be in pain, but it's back to the vets tomorrow.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »
The vet said he thought it was gastric (yeah being sick might be a clue). I thought she might drink the fluid I added to the tuna but no interest other than a quick lick. Tried watered yogurt and moist fish.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:51:34 pm »
I would try just plain boiled water cooled, and try a dropper, unless she is likely to scratch you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
Thanks Doganjo, she is an ex feral :o  but will try my best.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Try some baby food?  this sometimes helps.

also if she is not keen on tap water you could use some water collected from the rain. Sometimes they are more adverse to the chlorinated water when they are this poorly.
Maybe message mummyshaz (I'm sure she's a vet nurse?) she could have more advice from her experience at work.

Really hope that Violet is OK xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
Sardines in tomato sauce has something in that can attract cats ( strange I know ). Try slightly warming it so the smell is stronger than normal, and only offer a few mouthfuls worth in one go. There's nothing more off-putting than feeling off your food for somebody to offer a huge plate of the stuff.

Two days of no food or drink means she will be getting dehydrated now which can hinder an older cats kidneys so if possible another trip to the vets in the morning would be a good idea. Fingers crossed she improves soon. Hopefully whatever the cause will pass by soon  :fc:

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »
Got her to drink a little water, vets in the morning, tucked up tonight in the warm. They are a worry :fc:  thanks everyone for the tips.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »
Sickness could of course have many different causes. Telling you about a problem we had very recently with our mog just in case it helps. She was fine all day and went outdoors late afternoon. When she came back she was being sick .... quite often but only a teaspoon of biley looking stuff each time. She had obviously been sick when out because her tummy was drawn in. Looked a bit miserable but bright and alert. She went to her feed bowl but everytime she tried to eat or drink she would only take a mouthful and vomit almost straight away. No improvement the next day so rang vet straight away ... thought she would become dehydrated. It turned out that she had a piece of grass (only about 3cm long) stuck in her soft palate area. Apparently very common in cats. Removed under anaesthetic and fine afterwards.

I suppose your vet would have known if it could possibly be this but just thought it might be worth a mention.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »
Update on Violet; saw different vet (much better one) thinks she has picked up something to cause sickness and this has brought on acid inbalence, couple of injections and no food till tomorrow. She does look brighter, touch wood can eat tomorrow :fc:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »
That's good news  :thumbsup: get well soon violet  :hug:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
Oh great - glad she's picking up a bit - naughty little animals cats  :innocent:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS