Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A simple publication showing "What vegtable to plant during the year.  (Read 5030 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
I am moved to ask the following question because I have just finshed clearing a large patch of soil and feel the inclination to plant something in it.  Friends and relatives keep buying me books to help me with my vegetable garden but they do not carry the sort of information I would like which quite simply is a year list of what vegetables one plants at what month of the year.  Is there such a publication?

the great composto

Re: A simple publication showing "What vegtable to plant during the year.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »
Hi BML  is it specifically a publication you are looking for because there are quite a few web sites that give you just that.
heres one of the ones I use but ther are plenty of them.

http://www.allotment.org.uk/grow-your-own/summer/august

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »
I offer this book ......as it is one I'm very familar with and it has given me lots of success .. it uses first and last frost dates so is valid all round the world plus it has a shed load of other useful charts and info .

All New Square Foot Gardening  by Mel Bartholomew 2006 edition  ISBN code 1-59186-202-7

You can pick it up second hand off the likes of Amazon for a few quid.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:30:13 pm »
lawrence d hills's 'organic gardening'
most informative and very useful from one of the originators of organic gardening.

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »
Many thanks for all your help.  I will now start what for me is one of the most enjoyable bits of gardening, planning next year.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »
I've had a look at the allotment.org website and clicked through on a few things and it's really good.

Very friendly and informative.

I have just ordered a ridiculously overpriced planter thing (birthday present from Dad) that I am planning to grow winter salad sort of stuff in outside the back door. So - going with winter lettuce stuff, spring onions and some winter spinach.

Thanks composto
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:31 am »
I'm not the best at growing things but even I can use / understand the 'suttons seeds' website  ;) 
http://www.suttons.co.uk  then click on 'seeds' then on 'when to sow veg'  It gives a month by month growing guide.

:thumbsup: Have now saved the allotment.org site to my bookmarks - I like that one too  :D

Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:53 am »
There is a 'what to plant now' on www.laurasorganics.co.uk just click on the month you want

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:42:07 am »
lawrence d hills's 'organic gardening'
most informative and very useful from one of the originators of organic gardening.

Lawrence Hills, my gardening hero.    :)   What an absolutely fascinating chap and real gardener.

The Vegetable Expert  by Dr Hessayons - all his book eay to follow and are really good value, you can get them at knockdown prices on Amazon 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:46:01 am »
Hessayons are common charity shop bargain too ;-)  :thumbsup:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:42 am »
I picked up a 2013 Lunar Gardners Diary last week.

It illustrates the phase of the moon, what to plant, transplant and when to pick crops.
My 3 neighbours all plant by the moon and tell me off if I pick fruit before certain dates. The book is in French but I am sure that there must be English versions that are equally well illustrated.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS