Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig ark wanted in scotland  (Read 7673 times)

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
pig ark wanted in scotland
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:31 pm »
Hi

would like to get hold of either new or second hand ark in scotland, based in lanarkshire.

would prefer for it to also have floor similar to the ones animal arks sell.

thanks

Colin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:39:31 pm by The Lint Mill »
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: pig arc wanted in scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »
if you cant find one, animal arks (tho in cornwall) do deliver up here which surprised me, and were not stuffy about it. They said we might have to have one that we assembled partly but when it turned up it was complete and ready to go! been very happy with it (sheep and geese argue about whose turn it is to go in!). just for info as I only rang them on the offchance as I assumed they wouldnt deliver to Aberdeenshire from Cornwall!

HappyHippy

Re: pig arc wanted in scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »
You could try Solway - they do recycled plastic arcs with or without floors, based in Dumfries.
Here's a link http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/pig-poultry/pig-arks
HTH
Karen

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Re: pig ark wanted in scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »
We built ours - much cheaper. Floor made out of decking, and we bought the iron sheets from a place in Cambuslang. Gibbs of Glaston do the iron sheets too.

We are looking to make another one- might be able to sort something out for you if you like?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »
or make one from an old oil tank - the un-bunded kind that people are getting rid of, perfect size.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:07:36 pm »
I have solway arcs to sell. either 8*4 or 8*8. selling my pigs so they are spare

email me at dom@domsmith.wanadoo.co.uk

based in sanquhar not too far!

dominic

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
hi dominic, can you PM price? thanks
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »
would the solway ones survive a windy hill? im needing some more too.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:43:26 pm »
That's why we couldnt get one, theres no way in our place. Even staked down normal ones can go flying....we now have about 8 angle irons holding it down!

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
We make REALLY solid pig arks in various sizes the most popular is an 8'x6'.

Made from 18mm marine ply, 5no 6"x2" skids, 3"x4" frame and 7mm plastisol coated metal sheets. Fixings are all masonery quality. They last for years longer than other arks made from 12mm, 5mm galvanised sheets and domestic fittings....trust me our huge sows have tried and failed to destroy them  :D

The floor can be attached to the top or left free and able to be removed (be warned it is v.v.v. heavy) although we fix ours to the floor. The huge skids give it strength, stability and allow it to be easily towed to different locations.

Supplied in kit form with everything you need plus instructions - an easy two man job!

Keep us in mind.

(Lint Mill, sorry for the delay - I've replied to your messages and emailed to a pic...Gillian)

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

Made from 18mm marine ply, 5no 6"x2" skids, 3"x4" frame and 7mm plastisol coated metal sheets. Fixings are all masonery quality. They last for years longer than other arks made from 12mm, 5mm galvanised sheets and domestic fittings....trust me our huge sows have tried and failed to destroy them  :D

The floor can be attached to the top or left free and able to be removed (be warned it is v.v.v. heavy) although we fix ours to the floor. The huge skids give it strength, stability and allow it to be easily towed to different locations.

Supplied in kit form with everything you need plus instructions - an easy two man job!

Keep us in mind.

(Lint Mill, sorry for the delay - I've replied to your messages and emailed to a pic...Gillian)

prices please and delivery prices ? and photos please   :D :D :D

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:28:54 pm »
would the solway ones survive a windy hill? im needing some more too.

You wont get a more solid arc than the solway ones and you wont have a more exposed hill than here at sunnyside. Thet are heavy substantial things, by far the best quality arcs i have bought. they will outlast any wood and steel or plastic arc. they are indestructable!
But they can take off if the wind gets into them. so staking to the ground might be advised but we never have.

just my opinion having had them for a few years.

dominic

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

Keep us in mind.

prices please and delivery prices ? and photos please   :D :D :D

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:50 am »
Oops seem to have lost my text while uploading the photo!  ::)

Prices: PM or email us your requirements

Delivery: Central Scotland = £1 per mile. You can collect - the whole lot fits neatly on an 8 x 4 trailer or in most livestock trailers. If you're further away we can get a quote from our friendly haulier we'll need a postcode) or  you can look about for a quote yourself...it takes up the same amount of space on a truck as two pallets.

The arks in the photo are around 3 years old and apart from one that has been nibbled a bit at the door, the only difference in them against the day they were erected is that they're now muddy and that some of the pretty green caps covering the screws on the metal have popped off!  :D

Thanks

Gillian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS