Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: who's going to lanark on friday?  (Read 13488 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: who's going to lanark on friday?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »
Wish I was going.  Sounds like fun.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 09:37:12 pm »
I will be there (car repair permitting, it goes in tomorrow.. :-\ ) and have 4 shetland ewes in the sale. Unfortunately I am the seond one in the ring and my girls are quite skinny at the moment.... this is my first venture into selling at breeding auction, and I have got the feeling that in future I will opt for a later one... just can't see how anyone's sheep (after rearing twins this summer) is in good nick at this time of year... but we shall see, I may just take them home again...
(but at least I managed to bring them inside yesterday so they should be dry....)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »
I will be there (car repair permitting, it goes in tomorrow.. :-\ ) and have 4 shetland ewes in the sale. Unfortunately I am the seond one in the ring and my girls are quite skinny at the moment.... this is my first venture into selling at breeding auction, and I have got the feeling that in future I will opt for a later one... just can't see how anyone's sheep (after rearing twins this summer) is in good nick at this time of year... but we shall see, I may just take them home again...
(but at least I managed to bring them inside yesterday so they should be dry....)
We'll all be there supporting you from the ring-side  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 08:46:54 am »
Will be there looking for cross sheep.(not angry ones, but ones of mixed origin) ;D

chev shets sound the business to me. big sale will go on for hours.

dominic

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »
I got there for a couple of hours and it was great to meet up with those I did meet up with.  There were several people I didn't see, but then I spent most of my time in the sales ring (not selling - buying  ;D ;D )   Sorry Rosemary - I didn't see you anywhere to pick up my badges.

What did everyone buy?   Sally has already posted her pics of her new sheep, which are lovely. 
 I got a couple of white Shetland gimmers of island descent with beautiful spinning fleeces and fluffy cheeks  :love: :love: :sheep: :sheep:   So I have until shearing next year to learn more about natural dyeing.

Robert - sorry we didn't speak for long - we had just received some devastating news and we were very upset.  I'm not usually so unfriendly  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:53 pm »
fleecewife i never noticed or even considered  you as being unfriendly   after buying i thought you were just going to check your purchases    as buyers do   after compleating there buying spree  :farmer:

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 01:54:19 pm »
Missed this sale because of work. what were the prices like for shetlands and kerry hills cheers.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »
From £22 for shetland sheep and the kerry hill went to £75. 2 donkeys made £110

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »
From £22 for shetland sheep and the kerry hill went to £75. 2 donkeys made £110

there were some shetland ram lambs that went for £12 each early on!!!

was that for each donkey or for the 2 together lillian?

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:48 pm »
Hi David 110 for each donkey, the best ones i have seen for years, and they were both going to the same home.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »
Prices for the Shetlands were in fact very good.  Tup lambs sold by the penload will always be cheap as they are bought up by the meat buyers - and there were several there, mainly halal - or by those intending to rear them on for another year for hogget.  A pen of ancient ewes which should have been left at home went for £5 each  :( .  The top price I am aware of was £150 for a white Shetland gimmer, and another for £145   :excited: :excited: :innocent: .  The champion tup went for £130 I think, and many females fetched £50-60.  Buyers knew just what they wanted, and there seemed to be plenty of buyers.

I didn't see the end of the Shetlands, or any of the other breeds going through.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
The Icelandics went for around £150 - I only got a good price for my brown ducks.  Did anyone see what the huge piggy went for - never seen a pig that big in my life!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 06:00:55 pm »
The very large OSB boar went for the princely sum of £86 and the 2year old sows withhim also went for a similar amount.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »
It was good to see you lot again!
Brought my menage of chickens home last night, transfered bantams ( in cardboard pet transport boxes) to the pick up to take home, The dreaded Jack Russell (Princess Amy) scrapped into one box and killed and started to eat one of my wee hens!! All within the one mile that she travelled!! So, Moral of the story.................Dont trust a Jack Russell, even for a mile!!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »
he was a spectacularly huge piggy and very affectionate too, wanted his nose scratching lots!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS