Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie looking at move to Ireland  (Read 5009 times)

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
Newbie looking at move to Ireland
« on: August 28, 2012, 05:56:49 pm »

Hi All
I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to ask for any advice/experience of relocating to rural Ireland from UK.
I'm looking to move to Ireland from UK with my girlfriend we would have a limited budget but have found a few cottages/small rural or semi rural properties within our price range that could be of interest. We would like to become as selfsufficientish as possible and would hopefully purchase any property outright so would need a no mortgage or loan but this would probably take most/all of our saving. We would look to grow as much as possible and keep a few hens and maybe a few livestock land permitting. We would have a small existing income of around €500 pm but would look to earn some type of topup income from Ireland but understand this may take time and wouldn't be easy in the current climate.
Does anyone with direct experience of rural living on a small income have any advice or can share experiences they have had.
All advice appreciated/welcome

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: Newbie looking at move to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:50 pm »
I can't advise unfortunately, as I have NO experience of this but it sound wonderful and idyllic, and I hope you pull it off!!!   :) :) :)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:15 pm »
Hi Mallows flock
Thanks for your reply
We used to keep a small flock of ryelands which reached about 20 at it's peak. Also had around 15 Rhode Island reds and a few ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
I'll follow this with interest - I can't help but wish you all the best following your dream  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:25 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you will have a busy few years ahead, a dream come true. Good luck with it.

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »
Thanks for your replies

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but ...
Friends of ours moved out there about 3 years ago.  They found it really difficult, financially, neither of them could find work & they had no finances to start-up their smallholding.  Sadly, they've had to move back to Wales & start again.
.. everyone's experiences are different & I'm sure they'll be folks on here who've made a real success of it  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »
 :fc: for some positive experiences
But thanks for your reply it's appreciated

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »
We nearly bought a place in Ireland but pulled out when the economy took a dive. There are many, many properties for sale in rural Ireland and the property market is still falling. Also they are about to introduce property taxes (rates) for the first time. Food is more expensive than the UK. There is also not much work about. Cars are also expensive.

That said rural Ireland holds a special place for us particularly because of the music. We've just come back from 2 festivals there and are off again next week.

If you want to do it; then go for it but do your research first!

The Property Pin

http://www.thepropertypin.com/

shows what  some people think of the Irish property market etc.

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:46 pm »
Understand household tax of €100 already in place for this year with new rated system from next year if introduced in time. Also seen info on septic tank registration/inspection charge to be introduced where required. The biggest pull for us is the countryside / rural living and being able to afford a property outright in a rural location with a few acres something we feel is highly unlikely in England. Downside is Irish economy at moment and hard it would be to earn a living in Ireland. I've been self-employed in England for the last 12 years and experienced both good times and bad. To be honest I think if the Irish economy was still booming we wouldn't likely be able to afford a property so it's catch 22. Think all options would need to be considered/explored.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:03:26 pm by defino »

JUNIOR MEMBER pufflepets

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:01 pm »
I believe it's the things you DON'T DO that you regret,  not the things you do... however, I fully admit i AM one of those people who has their heads 99% of the time, well up in the clouds! It's a nice place to be!   ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:43:44 pm »
I wish you well with your dream.  It sounds like you've made sensible plans.  Just wondered if you would be able to relocate to Wales or Scotland as there are some cheap places there.

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »
Thanks for all the kind replies so far

uwalker

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 06:29:18 pm »
We live in the North of Ireland but I worked in Dublin full time for three years (until about a year ago). I was staying down during the week and coming home to the countryside at weekends. At first when I moved in 2008 I was horrified by how expensive everything was, but by the time I finished prices had come down a lot. I wasn’t running a car so I have no idea what costs would be like. If you have children then you may be surprised that you will have to buy all their school books – but many schools run swop schemes.

As far as I know there is a good small holders network and slow food movement which you should be able to make contacts with. If you are eligible for any types of social security the rates payable are much higher than the UK. Rural areas and small country towns are far more diverse that they used to be and local populations have welcomed the “new” Irish families.

For more information on things like social welfare, opening bank accounts I suggest you look at http://www.borderpeople.info/index.htm This website is aimed at people living on one side of the border but working on the other, but much of the info may be relevant.
Good luck with the move!!

defino

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:48:41 pm »
Thanks for the good info & link

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS