Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Birth defect  (Read 8541 times)

lill

• Joined May 2011
Birth defect
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »
Has anyone had any experiances of this birth defect. It has 3 claws instead of 2 on both the front legs.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Birth defect
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »
not seen that Lill, will be interesting as to whether it affects him/her in walking.  Presume you'll try to get it through to slaughter?
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »
We used to have a line of cats when I was growing up with double dew claws which looked like that  :cat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »
Hi  Lil  :wave:
I was going to say it reminds me of dew claws in dogs - never seen it in pigs before though.  is it only the 1 piglet?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
Hi Lynne,
Yes it is only the one, it put me in mind of a wee old man, his chin hairs were white, his jaw line curved upwards, yes yes i know you will think i'm stupid in saying it, but this wee piglet was just very old before his time. Even his teeth were brown/rotten. I know that there is a disease in humans that is the same as described above.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:31 pm »
I'm trying to think of the name of it - it'll come to me when I'm thinking of something else I expect  :eyelashes:
I know this might sound like a daft question - was he born/is he still alive?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:32 pm »
The only thing that rings a bell with hairy pigs with me is PMWS - it's a wasting disease, but that's about all I know about it.
Here's a link to the BPA Q&A's - scroll right down to the bottom and see if it sounds like it  :-\
http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/Vets%20Q&As_SUMMER2011.pdf

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:02 pm »
Hi Karen  :wave:
Some of the problems on there sound quite  :P  & that poor pig with sunburnt ears - owch!

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:25:03 pm »
no Karen it is not PWMS that affects 6-8 week old pigs this one is only two weeks
funny you should flag up the BPA Q&A section the hummpy backed pigs i have seen that in pigs sold in central Scotland just this year don't worry Karen they were not yours :farmer:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:56:32 pm »
Was the sow late farrowing? There's an old saying that pigs born with black teeth never do well and it is associated with the sow going over her due date. Pigs born with extra toes are not as unusual as you might think and the only thing I would say is not to keep them for breeding but ensure that they go for fattening.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »
I know that there is a disease in humans that is the same as described above.

Are you thinking of progeria?

Interesting stuff

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »
hello Mr pig    no it was only 2 days past the date   but she was not her usual self for about a week   i can pinpoint the date if it would help        13 live piglets  but two very small of which this was one   they the 2 weighed about half a pound while the 11 big ones weighed about 2-3 pounds  we did have a heifer once that had a gestation of 11 months   she was AId  so her dates were correct

yorkshirelass yes that is what Lillian was thinking of :farmer:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:00 pm »
Hi Lynne, No the wee piglet died which really pissed me off as I had moved them from the farrowing pen to the playpen. It was also blind in the left eye so it may have not been in the best of health but wonder if I did not move them would it still of died, I will never know .

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »
Hi Lynne, No the wee piglet died which really pissed me off as I had moved them from the farrowing pen to the playpen. It was also blind in the left eye so it may have not been in the best of health but wonder if I did not move them would it still of died, I will never know .
Oh Lillian  :bouquet:  Nature has it's way ...
 :love: :pig: :love:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »
Yes, nature is a funny thing and we all have to take what nature gives us, tiny was only half a pound compared to some of the other wee fatties at 3 pound, would like to see if he would have had a good quality of life or if it would have been hindered as he was also blind in his left eye, better he died now than after he was weaned or even older.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS