Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coughing lamb  (Read 4204 times)

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
Coughing lamb
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »
Hi, I'm a total newbie to sheep and we got our first three lambs two weeks ago, we have had a bit of a problem with scouring as our grass is too lush, so were told to restrict their paddock and give hay which we have done,but we have now noticed one of them occasionally coughing. He sounds a bit like an old man with something in his throat. Could it be a respiratory infection, and should I get the vet to check him? I'd be really grateful for any advice. :-\

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Coughing lamb
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
Hi Yvonne.  One of the common causes of coughing in sheep is worms.  Were your lambs wormed immediately before they came to you?  If not it would be a good iduea to get them wormed.  Your vet is a good person to discuss a worming plan with, as he/she will know the local problems ie what you are likely to encounter and will give advice accordingly.  In fact they will help you work out a whole health plan.  That way you will start off on the right foot.

Your coughing lamb could just have some hay caught in its throat, if worms are not a probability.

I'm sure others will have some more suggestions.

Congratulations on getting your new sheep  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:30:47 am »
Hi Fleecewife, they were wormed with ovispec before I got them, maybe I should worm them again and try a different wormer? I will have a chat with my vet this morning. The last couple of weeks have been a huge learning curve!
Thanks for your advice.  :wave:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:10:26 am »
Is the hay dusty at all? If you stick your nose in and give a big sniff you shouldn't come out coughing.

yvonne.s

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:31:44 am »
No it's not at all dusty, it's lovely hay smells fantastic, and is very fresh.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:36:23 am »
If only they could talk hey? Would make life so much easier....then again I would soon get fed up of our Haflinger standing at the gate shouting 'I'm hungry' 24/7!  Am sure the vet will advise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS