Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey Advice  (Read 2184 times)

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
Turkey Advice
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:23:20 pm »
Hi
have been offered two turkeys to raise for meat, we have a large fenced off area where we could keep them in a separate house but we have our 3 geese there, are they ok to mix with other poultry? our hens do not go in there.

thanks
colin & debby
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Turkey Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »
I think you might get a better response if you were to repost this in the poultry section of Livestock, I'm sure Dan will be along shortly to sort it for you. :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:29 pm »
not sure about mixing with geese; but you're right about turkeys not living with chickens. (blackhead risk)
just remember that turkeys can fly high into trees and easily get over 12ft fences :yippee:
our 2 eldest christmas turkeys keep jumping over to the chicken pen....... they were the first 2 to hatch and were next to these chickens in the nursery!!! i'm sure they think they're chickens :roflanim: :roflanim:
I love turkeys so curious :excited: :excited:

Mx

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:28 pm »

I love turkeys so curious :excited: :excited:

Mx
Me too ... so tasty too  :yum: ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »
We have turkeys and chickens mixing but do make sure they are wormed regularly.  We also have some around ducks so can't imagine there will be a problem with geese- although willing to be wrong.

Helen

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »
I wouldn't put anything in with my geese, our gander likes his space and will take a piece out of anything invading it! He tried to take a piece out of the pony the other day and got himself proper trod on, not bothered him since though.....Gander perfectly fine I might add, just bruised ego
Not suposed to be kept on the same ground as chickens though, as stated above.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »
Yep, our turkeys free-range alongside our chooks to - infact, I often find Bertie (Bourbon Stag) perching in the big chook-house when I go to shut them in of a night, while his 2 wives sleep-over with Michael & Maud (N Bronze) in the eaves of the old byre.
Never had any problems with blackhead  :fc:
As for geese - well our grumpy gander often tries to have a go at the young chooks when the Broody's back is turned - big bully  ::)  so I wouldn't advise keeping young poults within pecking distance.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS