Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed re fluke  (Read 4037 times)

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
Advice needed re fluke
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:06:00 pm »
Hi, me again needing some advice,

Have been out to the goats this evening and Anna our Togg has a swelling to her lower jaw and throat area and im sure ive read somewhere on here it could be fluke can any of you advise please and what do i need to be getting from the vet to sort this and in what time scale?

She is eating and drinking but just seems alittle fed up.
Thanks in advance again
Jane

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Advice needed re fluke
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »
Yes, she needs treating for fluke.

Have you wormed her recently? If not, you can use Combinex, which is a wormer and flukicide.

If you have, use Fascinex, which is just for fluke.

In future it needs doing autumn and new year, if you are on the sort of land that has fluke (mine has too)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:17:01 pm »
It's always Bank Holls when these things happen. I would be inclined to stick her in the car and drive to the vets to avoid a bank holl call out fee, you really need his professional advice on any sort of swelling rather than guesswork. :goat:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:26:56 pm »
Good point! There's me assuming it's fluke, but could be an allergic reaction for example. How fast has the swelling appeared?

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »
Thanks both, have called our vet since posting as my mind wouldnt settle,  he has said it sounds likely to be fluke as they have not been wormed recently and so we are going to pick up some meds for them all in the morning to do as routine. It only appeared this afternoon since i left earlier and came back, tho its not changed in size for the past couple of hours while i fed everyone else etc so could still be a reaction to something like a sting hence our vet has said to keep an eye to her this evening. Her breathing and airways appear fine and shes mooching about with the rest of the herd
He has assured me she should be fine over night if it fluke??
I hate all this learning as we go, ive read soo much but nothing compares to actually living these senarios!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 07:32:50 pm »
If it's fluke, she'll be fine overnight.

It seems to have come up quite quickly for that though, so I would keep an eye on her, just in case it's a sting reaction  :goat: As long as she's breathing fine and hanging around with the others she's ok.

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
Thanks JayKay they are such a worry when your new to it all!!
Shall be keeping a close eye to her tho

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:35:21 pm »
I hate to tell you this, but they carry on being a worry, even when you're no longer new to it  ::) Good job they're lovely with it  :goat: Hope she's ok and it's just fluke.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »
Hope it all goes down naturally.  Jaykay, you're so right about them always being a worry and especially right about them being lovely.  I love mine to bits.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:14 pm »
It's pouring with rain here and two of the kids have just had me out in it because they were yelling at the tops of their voices from inside the byre. I assumed at the very least one of them had got caught in something  :o Nope, they were just wanting mum to come in and deliver elevenses and mum was wisely standing out in the yard under the chicken house overhang, getting a bit of peace and quiet and ignoring them  :D

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
Pleased to say all sign of the swelling had gone this morning, so must have been a sting or the like  ;D
So pleased it wasnt anything serious, they are too lovely not to worry about like children, its pouring with rain here too now and ours have decided their pen is no good and are all stood under the stable over hangs, no understanding these beasts! lol  :D
Thanks for all your replies tho x

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:46 pm »
Good to hear  :thumbsup:

Now the panic's over, it would be as well to get poo sample to the vets and ask them to check for worms and fluke, then you can decide what treatment they need, if any.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »
That's good news.   ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS