Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Fencing  (Read 2580 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Chicken Fencing
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
I am a newbie to chickens, what is the best way to fence chickens in? Someone mentioned electric netting, is this suitable? if so will the chickens fly over? Can anybody recomend where to buy a good fence kit for little money?

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
Re: Chicken Fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »
HOw big an area?

I use metre high chicken wire and the same as a roof on a run 2mx 3m

Andrew
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:21 pm »
The area is about 100 - 150 sq mtr.

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
I've got electric fencing as i had a fox attack a couple of months ago. None of the chickens have attempted to fly over it - they stay away from it now that they have had a couple of shocks! However it is not a cheap option. 3 lengths of 50m (1m high) + energiser was at least £350 but netting seems to be shooting up in price. Could get a cheaper energiser if using a smaller about of netting (ours is a mains high powered version).

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:03 pm »
what issues do you have. are there lots of predators about. I would guess that it may stop a fox but it will only take one wet piece of grass to short it out. so your going to be doing lots of trimming. also if the fox has cubs she will dig under. seems expensive 100 meters of rabbit wire slightly bigger than chuck wire which is a metre high will cost between £40-50 so even the basic chuck fence is not going to be that cheap. Maybe have a smaller high security pen say 10mx10m and a lower security when you know its safe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS