Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How secure is electrified poultry netting?  (Read 8424 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: How secure is electrified poultry netting?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:33 am »
Poultry netting isn't tall enough. A fox will jump over if it's hungry enough. Our fox clears a 5' 6" wall without touching it. If you haven't had a fox strike yet you are simply lucky -one is just around the corner -believe me and improve your defences. We have an electric poultry net inside the perimeter and it negotiates that as if it wasn't there. Doesn't matter if it touches it on the way over as it is in mid-air, so no ground circuit made, so no shock. Of course if the power goes down -flat battery or power cut?

Hi,Chris what do you sagest as an alternative,I am putting Heras fencing with a line of electric wire around the bottom for my turkeys.But I think I would get complaints from my neighbors if I used to much of this.
My boarder terrier who hates chickens can scrabble over a 6' garden fence panel but won't go near an electric fence.It makes me wonder why they don't make a higher version of poultry netting.
DBE,yes I do relies if any live part of a fence touches the ground or anything else attached to the ground it shorts out and looses power thank you very much.I also mow under my netting and strim under perimeter fence to reduce the chance of this.

Graham.
Graham.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
I used to keep my hens in at my last place with electrified netting, run off a car battery - the hen house was in the middle, I never shut the pop hole at night.

It was next to a spring and foxes would come for miles around to drink and I never lost one to hens, ever. My neighbours, who had aviary-type houses, were losing them all the time to foxes digging under etc.

I watched foxes come past lots and saw the footprints around the perimiter in the snow.  I have absolutely no doubt that the second I turned it off and went inside they would have been in and taken the lot.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:12 pm »
Hi there,
I've had hens on electric with a secondary plastic hole fence (the kind you see on the edge of ski pistes) around it, next to pigs (on 3 strands).   There are definitely foxes very near but, none have attacked anything.  I got the secondary fence idea from the National Trust.  I am hoping that this double layered idea will get past the jumping problem. There is about a metre gap in between the fences.

Runs on leisure battery. Been ok for about 9 mths.   Hope this is of interest.....

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 10:50:34 am »
Heras panels with a single strand of electric round the bottom has worked for us for a long time now. We've lost the odd bird when they've been out free ranging during the day but nothing from inside the pens.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »
Although we do have netting we dont use it for the poultry , we tend to use it to try and confine lambs on the lawn.
We dont have any foxes here anyway,If one did move in they dont stand a chance with  the gamekeepers around here
Graham

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »
We bought 2 nets from mvf, the posts have double prongs which hold them securely. On the corners and gates we put in wooden strainer posts and attached the netting posts with large cable ties. on the floor we laid 2 widths of damp course to stop the net shorting out and pegged the bottom strand down. So far we have kept chickens geese and turkeys inside it with no issues apart from strimming around when the grass gets too long. The whole lot is powered by a mains energiser.
Our latest indulgence are 2 battery operated pop hole door openers, these are really great and  and now save us having to hang around waiting for the chickens to go to bed. At least with the geese and turkeys you can herd them into their houses the chooks were having none of it especially as their houses are raised.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 09:39:43 am »
Hi,what sort of turkeys have you got in your runs.I have some bronze turkeys I would like to put out into a large poultry net run but I was under the impression they would get out over the top.

Graham.
Graham.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS