Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling really old  (Read 10496 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Feeling really old
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »
Don't know of Marcus Foster, no - will have to youtube and have a nose!

My 10 year old is grumphing about Scouting for Girls and wants to know why we aren't going to see the Libertines instead (mummy's musical tastes are a little different to many local mummies and milli has adopted it...) have been trying to explain it might not be a good place for a child of her age  :innocent: [size=78%] [/size]
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »
ha, the only way ellie can go to frank turner is if shes accompanied by an adult, over 16's only!!
thanks for the reccomendations i shall pass them on. try 'passenger' my daughter wakes me up with him full blast most mornings,i ask her if she is interested in boys, and i just get 'shut up' 'your embarressing' when most of her music is young male troubadors...in fact she has an enviable 'record' collection 80+ albums on her ipod and counting, she has a budget and sticks to it, so far....

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »
I was just thinking this afternoon as I was pulling on my 'hoodie', while wearing my jeans, I wonder what people think of a 48 year old grey haired woman wearing teenage clothes.....

Mind you I am only 17 (in my head!)  :innocent: :innocent:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 07:30:35 pm »
;D   see you at Glastonbury next year then!  :raining:

Glastonbury ::)  Now Ifeel really old. I remember Glastonbury when it was a tiny hippy festival in the top field by the tor. Maybe a couple of hundred people there. Folk music, magic mushrooms (of which I did not partake) a bit of strange tobacco (of which I believe I did :o ) and a lovely time. I really wouldn'd want to go now though, too big, too loud and too many MM's etc.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »
sylvia, id be honoured.... i have a spare ticket, and somewhere to stay (all being well...)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:53 pm »
My son turned 40 last week so what does that make me? ;D  I've been grey since eh was born!

Problem is my brain doesn't agree with my body :'(  My brain is only about 20 I think.  I vaguely remember someone quoting the following phrase - "I don't want to go to my grave lying down,  I'll go kicking and screaming"   You're only as old as ..........................  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:50 pm »
mum?? is it really you.... :o

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
I was just thinking this afternoon as I was pulling on my 'hoodie', while wearing my jeans, I wonder what people think of a 48 year old grey haired woman wearing teenage clothes.....

Mind you I am only 17 (in my head!)  :innocent: :innocent:

Being a bit short on cash - my shorts are cut off jeans that are now 4 sizes too big worn with boots that are not too sexy - and now I don't even change to go into town - hair in despareate need of a cut but do I care ........... no, still happy  :excited: :excited:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »
Well at 42 I'm often to be seen wearing ripped jeans that hang off my bum like a teenager - I've only got one belt and it's usually on my good (for work) jeans.

I realised  I must be getting older a few years back, when I couldn't get back to my home due to the police having closed off the area (fire); I was chatting with a very nice WPC but had to resist the temptation to ask her:

"Shouldn't you be in school?"
 :raining: :raining:

marcus

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:21 am »
sylvia, id be honoured.... i have a spare ticket, and somewhere to stay (all being well...)

Dave, I am tempted, but who'd care for the dogs etc. Also, I'm sure you can tempt a pretty young thing to join you. Shall I make enquiries? ;)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 10:38:12 am »
 ;D  please do, you couldnt do any worse than i am!! ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 11:14:25 am »
I look in the mirror and wonder if I should behave as old and sensible as I look  -  but usually decide against it :D

As for kids making you feel old.....When I was a youngish teacher (30) a kid came to the staffroom door asking for her biology teacher, whose name she couldn't remember.

So I thought about the 5 female biology staff and decided that I was roughly in the middle, age-wise. So I asked 'is she older or younger than me'. The child thought very long and hard and said 'I think she's older'. Eventually turned out to be Pauline, who was 56 at the time, and a grey, dumpy 56 at that  ::) Well, it made her feel better anyway  :D

At the same school, one of my form class commented that they'd seen me at the Strawberry Fair in Cambridge, holding hands with my then boyfriend. And another girl said 'I think it's really cute when old people go out (ie date)'  :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:18:58 am by jaykay »

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
I'm 67 and a bloke, but still love this poem.

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN I SHALL WEAR PURPLE

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
 And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
 And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
 I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
 And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
 And run my stick along the public railings
 And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
 I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
 And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
 And learn to spit
 You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
 And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
 Or only bread and pickle for a week
 And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes
 But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
 And pay our rent and not swear in the street
 And set a good example for the children.
 We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
 But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
 So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
 When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:22 pm »
Saw my mum and her boyfriend this week.  When we said goodbye, I gave him a hug and teased him that he liked cuddling young ladies.  My OH says, "You're not young."  (I'll deal with him later - I'm only 61) to which I reply, "Compared to Doug I am."  My mum's boyfriend is almost 91.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »
Castle Farm ... I love that poem, and actually quoted to my menfolk last night (the bits I can remember!) in response to an "ageist" conversation!

(I am determined to Literate them, I read from "Animal Farm" "Cold Comfort Farm" poems, newspapers etc out to them ... to no real avail!)
 ::)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS