Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning off growers and starting on layers pellets  (Read 29963 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
weaning off growers and starting on layers pellets
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:07:39 pm »
Could anyone advise at what age i should stop feeding growers pellets, my chicks are 14 weeks old and fully free range and put away at night. Thanks

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: weaning off growers and starting on layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »
They will be fine on layers now  :thumbsup: mine would be well before 14 weeks unless they were being  fattened.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »
I don't move mine on to layer pellets until they start laying. I thought the clue was in the name  :eyelashes:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »
They are supposed to be IN LAY before you change them over.

I do wish people would refrain from giving advise untill they know what their talking about ::)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:48 pm »
I have bred chickens for years and never had any problems, they go from chick crumbs to a wheat layers mix, all seem happy healthy and lay and breed well, kind of speaks for its self. Only ever feed growers to fatteners. But each to there own.
So why EXACTLY just out of interest do you ONLY feed it when there inlay? Not wanting to provoke you just curious and am not narrow minded enough to think there's only one way of doing everything  :)

My theory being this- I have gutted immature, as in not yet laying hens many times and there have been the making of the eggs there already. Now surely the 'stuff' in the layers that makes it layers not growers feed is to help with the egg production? Well the makings of the eggs are there well before they actually produce a proper egg so surely they benefit from the layers ration?
But as I said before am happy to be corrected.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:24:57 pm by Sbom »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »
Just off to get my bullet proof vest and hat..... Noone told me when I joined this forum that they were an essential piece of kit  ;D but I'm learning!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »
I've just got a few hens 2 weeks ago so I'm in the dark. I thought I'd read that there was something in the growers feed that meant you couldn't eat the eggs hence they came off that pre laying and had layers and grit.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:58 am »
I've been doing it wrong for years ;). Mine are mainly reared under broodies and in with the rest of the flock. They get chick crumbs, mixed corn, and of course, they eat the layers pellets which are meant for the adults. In fact, the adults break them up for them. Never had a problem.

Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:29 am »
I just do what it says on the tin  :innocent:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:02 am »
Mine have always gone from chick crumbs to cracked wheat to whole wheat. They started on whole wheat from about twelve weeks plus what they got from grassland.

SouthMains

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:35:02 am »
Seems like we all do it slightly differently...so here is what I do if it is of any interst. Mine are also raised with the broody, and are isolated for the first 3 or 4 weeks with chick crumb fro both chicks and mum gets growers.  Then they get to mix with all the big girls but I provide a large dog crate which has growers in it, mum gets penned in there for about 1hour on the first day to show the chick where to go, then from then on chicks pop in and out whenever the want, the cage is in the same place as the other hens getting the layers, but the chicks tend to prefer to use the cage as there is less pushing and shoving.  The decision of when the move from grower to layers is made easy, when they can no longer fit through the cage bars they are on to layers.  This seems to be about a 4 weeks short of POL.  Seems to work for me. 

there is an intersting article on the smallholder feed site
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/812921.feeds_the_differences_explained/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:29 am »

there is an intersting article on the smallholder feed site
http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/812921.feeds_the_differences_explained/
The only problem with this article is that it is written by those that have a vested interest in the products.
I have 4 chicks that are a week old and as these are my first chicks I am reading everything I can to make sure they get a good start. They have been on hard boild egg and chick crumbs but I have also given mum some bread, cranberries, meal worms, rice.  She checks everything over and give some to her young also. So even at a week old they have had a variety but mainly egg and chick crumbs. They have had 2 hard boiled eggs a day and I am now going to start phasing that out.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:50:52 am »
It good to get debate going - hence why i asked the obvious question in the first place?? I will finish this bag of growers pellets and they can go onto layers - as i said they are fully free range and getting plenty and if anything the pellets are only supplementing what they scavenge and ensuring they go to sleep happy and on full tums - just like me ;D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:02 am »
Way too much chickenology going on here. What did chickens eat before pelleted food was invented?
I used to work at a feed store and over the years I've fed layers, growers, breeders, organic, ex batt food you name it, to all ages of chickens, depending on what I could get cheap due to it being out of date etc. My flock lay well, look good and breed very well. In  fact nothing bad has happened as a result of what feed they've had.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »
It good to get debate going - hence why i asked the obvious question in the first place?? I will finish this bag of growers pellets and they can go onto layers - as i said they are fully free range and getting plenty and if anything the pellets are only supplementing what they scavenge and ensuring they go to sleep happy and on full tums - just like me ;D
:sofa:  great debate Grant  ;)

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS