Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Goats and their Hoof Photos as promised  (Read 3615 times)

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
My Goats and their Hoof Photos as promised
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:38:31 pm »
Hi all, as promised I managed to get a few photos of both goats and Billy's hooves. Billy is the one on the right in the photo of them both. I haven't done so today, but the last few times I have checked his hooves, I have given them a spray with Terramycin spray from the vets, just to be on the safe side.

Any advice on what to do, or words of assurance would be greatly appreciated. ???

I just want them both to be healthy!! :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: My Goats and their Hoof Photos as promised
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »
Most likey foot rot, they probably came with it and with such a wet season it is no surprise this year. Do the feet smell? Once you smell foot rot you can identify it anywhere.... it also lingers in your nose for a while.
Get some ENGEMYCIN or TERRAMYCIN spray from your vets, it is an antibiotic, and spray maybe once a day for a few days, leave to dry off a bit and see if they get better. If the feet don't get better or if they get better then worse again and so on there is an antibiotic injection that the vet can administer (it is very toxic to humans and therefore needs vet to do it, you could kill yourself if accidentally injected), I think it is called Mykotil or something like it.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
I would also trim the feet down a bit more, there still looks like there is a bit of excess hoof there. Keep going with the spray, and try and make sure he keeps his feet as dry as possible. Would it be possible to keep them in, or at least limited to a concrete yard?

Beth

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:41 pm »
Ah, I can possibly help on this one.  I had a lamb with exactly the same thing (I thought puncture wound but not sure). Basically this inside flesh started to come through the hole despite spraying, dressing, creams.  In the end a few doses of Metacam from vet cleared it up in no time. Also a couple of shots of antibiotics.
Don't trim too much from sides otherwise full weight is on the sore spot.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:37 pm »
Poor goats.  I'm sure those hooves can't be comfortable to walk on.  Good job they've got looking after them now, Draygor.  They look lovely animals.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »
Yes, they're going to have to be trimmed little and often for the moment plus medication as I said before - if you're not feeling too comfortable with this then see if there is someone in your area who would come and do it for you - your vet may not be the best person to do this, rather get a goat breeder/keeper.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:44 pm »
Scotsgirl makes a good point that you don't want them walking on that sore soft stuff. So don't trim any further until that's sorted out.

Get the spray Anke talks about, use it every day for a week and if no better talk to the vet.

Once the insides are harder, you can trim the outsides a bit more.

Lovely guys by the way and good for you rescuing them  :goat:

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
Hi all, thanks for the words of encouragement.  :thumbsup:
I have stopped trimming them for now, couldn't bring myself to do it anyway - not in that condition.
I got terramycin from the vets a few days ago, and am giving them a spray on regular occasions. I have spoken to the vet, and he says the same as you guys, leave it a week and if no better give him a call.
I checked this evening, and they don't seem any better (thankfully no worse either)
The unfortunate thing is both problem hooves are on the same goat, the others hooves seem fine (too deep I think, but a  little trimming here and there will sort that out)
The affected goat doesn't seem to let it bother him, he still runs the full length of the paddock for a carrot  :D

Whoever the previous owners were, should have a good talking too!!  :rant:

What breed would you say they are?  ???

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:12 pm »
Glad to hear it doesn't stop him coming for treats  ;D

Are they Saanens?

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »
I'm not sure Jaykay - we rescued them, so no info came with them. I've looked at photo's on the net, and that breed seems to be the nearest looking I can find!  :thinking:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:40:51 am »
Look like Saarnens or British Saanens . Keep an eye on the one horn , it looks like it might be growing a bit too close to the head. it looks like they did not have a good start in life as they look a bit pinched in and skinny , I'm sure they will start to put  a bit of weight on now they are in your care, well done for rescuing them :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:08 am »
One other thing I have just remembered my vet said....copper sulphate paste. This will help to dry up foot.  Still think you should get a dose of Metacam. It just gets administered under skin, really easy and you will notice the difference overnight.  I also bathed mine in Hibiscrub or diluted iodine (don't do what I did and pour on neat 10%, it burns a bit!)

Good luck

Draygor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Soar, Brecon, Powys
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:27 pm »
Thanks Scotsgirl - I'm speaking to the vet in the morning, I'll let you know what he says.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »
The one on the right looks as if he has got some Nubian in him,just going by his ears and his face looks a bit more roman nosed? But mostly I would think Saanen too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »
My first thought was Sanaan but, yes, that one definitely looks as though there's some AN in there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS