Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transplanting leeks  (Read 3961 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Transplanting leeks
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:34 am »
Today , at last , i started to transplant my leeks . They should have been transplanted a few weeks ago , but due to the strange weather they didn't really grow .
Anyway , although they are still very small i got 3 3/4 rows done , thats 119 so far . Loads more to do still . Will just have to see if they make it through the winter now .
I also lifted the garlic 2 days ago . Not good ! All about half size at best . But there are over 100, so will get me through the winter at least . But i doubt they will get me through to next years crop . They taste fine though and are stronger than the parent stock i used , tesco specials @ 90p for 3 .

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Transplanting leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:37 am »
i was late with my leeks (not as many as you tho') they stayed small for about 2 weeks while bedding in and have now sprung into life
fingers crossed :fc:  they'll grow
Mx

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
Our garlic is really poor this year too, although it was planted very late. Now leeks on the other hand, my old man got them in early, and they are already thickening nicely. As long as they don't go to seed we should have a great crop... :fc:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »
same down here, crap garlic, lovely leeks. this is the first year ive successfully grown them yay!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Transplanting leeks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:53:35 pm »
My garlic went in really late to Dan , mid March . So i can't really moan about the size of them .
The leeks just didn't grow  though . Still , got a few weeks left of good growing weather , possibly ? , so they should do something  , they may even catch up with  all yours !
Transplanted another 3 rows today , 225 in total now . Probably the same amount to do again , i like leeks ! lol .
I am thinking about planting 10 rows of garlic towards the end of November , 20th-25th ish , and another 10 rows (about 450 cloves ) , in December , 22nd ish . Will see next year what the difference is .

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »
What variety are you growing Russ ?
I remember going out to pull leeks with my papa - in the snow  :o
Think it was always the 'Mussleburgh' variety he grew - hardy Scottish leeks  ;) :thumbsup:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »
Yes , that's the ones Karen , they are pretty bomb proof as a rule .
I may get another variety to grow as well next year . De Carentan is a maybe . An old French variety , 1885 , or St Victor . Both available from OrganicCatalogue.com .
I love going out to the veggie plot , in deepest winter , and lifting a few leeks and spuds for a huge cauldron of winter soup !

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:23:47 am »
I bought leeks off the market as they were cheap and well advanced. They have done very well and are shaded behind sunflowers for part of the day. We have eaten a few but I hope that they will keep in the ground for a good few more months.
I gathered a good crop of violet garlic in June but will look out for some interesting varieties on a garlic/shallott stall that visits a monthly market near us.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:20:26 pm »
Nice day here today ! So got another 3 rows of leeks done , about 100 , plus loads of weeding .
The leeks are in what will be next years brassica bed , 30'x15' , but will be gone by the time i am planting up the brassicas say April onwards .  I will be sowing some spring cabbage in between the leeks , but  by the time the cabbages get big , the leeks will be gone .
Got to start shift horse crap down to the veg plot to now , ready for putting on the beds as and when .
A wheelbarrow holds 4 buckets full and 2 buckets do 1 sq yd , each section of the plot is 30'x15' or 10 yds x 5 yds = 50 sq yds = 100 buckets = 25 wheelbarrow loads x 3 , a lot of s**t shoveling  !
All that has to get loaded up by the gate and then carted 70 yds downhill to the veg plot , so just the one barrowload a day , in between digging the plot and weeding etc .
Gardening keeps you fit !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »
That really is a lot of sh*t shovelling, Russ.  You should be incredibly fit especially as you have to walk each way.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »
Yes mate , fit as a fiddle , but falling to bits at the same time .
When the crap is dryish , it is ok to shift , but when it is soaked i can barely move the wheelbarrow , the wheel just sinks in the mud . So shift it 2 buckets at a time then . That gets the blood pumping for sure .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS